When did they announce that 2 is the rightful potty training age?

i must have missed that memo. see i thought that the longer you wait, the shorter the process will be, and the more fully able the child will be to actually grasp what they're doing, rather than training YOU to take them every so often to be sure you catch it in time. 

but apparently, if your child is not potty-trained by two then clearly you're just trying to keep them a baby as long as possible "Im not bashing but IMO a toddler should not be wearing a diaper anymore I think its just a way of keeping your child still young as long as you can!"

well, it all makes sense now. atleast i know why i waited til 2.5 years of age, i had some hidden desire to keep my child in diapers as long as possible, because we all know how exciting and fun changing diapers constantly is. who would want to get them out of diapers any sooner than necessary? not to mention the expenses of diapers, that just adds to all the fun of keeping them in them as long as possible. (heavy sarcasm over)

**this does not apply to those star children who were potty trained in infancy or children with developmental delays**

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:51 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think AGE 2 is an estimate---an average. It all depends on the child and whether or not the bladder muscles will hold the urine long enough. That is the issue---is the bladder mature enough to hold it and then is the kid aware enough to want to go to his potty to pee.
    :-) Its not a big deal. All kids are different. I never paid attention to what other kids in other families did.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:18 PM on May. 27, 2011

• odd, because medically speaking most children do not have full bladder and bowl control till around age six..

I tried so hard to potty train my first before age 2, because that's what every one seemed to expect... well, that was nothing but stress and frustration. With my 3 and 4, I just waited till they were ready, and when they were, they basically potty trained themselves. My 2nd did it around 23 mo, and my daughter just after her 3rd birthday. My 4th is going to be 3 in a month and has just decided, he wants underwear, not diapers, so he just decided he would use the potty. IDK, I guess if you want to make potty training a hassle, do it as early as you want. I prefer the stress free method for both me and my kids.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It is just an every kid is different. When a kid is ready they will do it. Some take longer than others and some need more of a push. Personally I wouldn't really push the issue until around 3.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:52 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I had no idea this was such a hot button issue. I started teaching my babies about going potty the moment they could see me or dad on the potty. When they showed an interest in going themselves, I incouraged them. Interestingly, thinking back, that was around two years old. So that was my, no so scientific, appoach.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Every child is different and my 3 boys were 3 and my girls were closer to 2. Do what is best for you child and ignore ignorant bitches.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

• BTW - I just love when people say things like "I'm not bashing..." and then proceed to bash and judge.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:51 PM on May. 27, 2011

• my dd turned 3 back in feb. and is not where near potty trained. i would love to get her on the potty but when i tried to train her a few weeks ago we both got so stressed out by we were miserable so we have backed off. if some other mom doesnt like i really dont care i am the one wiping her butt.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i WISH my DD got potty training at 2! she's a smart girl, but we tried at 2 & 2.5 and she didnt get it. we're about to start again in a few weeks when she turns 3. i dont see any point in pushing it, thats just gonna make her refuse cause she's super stubborn (she gets that from me). i know kids that arent as quick as my DD that have been potty trained since 2...its just one of those things that kids do at different ages. i guess some moms just need to judge others so they can feel better.

no mom wants to change diapers or wants to keep their kid in diapers...thats just stupid!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:26 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Every child is different. My son wasn't ready until he was almost 3 years old. Took only a couple days and he was not having accidents. My brothers daughter was in underwear and not having accidents day or night at 18 months. My sister has 4 kids all were different ages her oldest is 10 and still has an occasional accident at night. She has some issues that cause this. I don't worry how other parents do it eventually they all learn and that is all that matters.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 3:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I missed the memo too. My kids were PTed at all different ages. My son was potty trained at 2.5 (took a few weeks,) my other son came to us PT'd at 3, my daughter was PT'd at 16 months (yes, she was going on her own{took 3 weeks}) next daughter was 3.5 when she potty trained, it took months, littlest potty trained with 3-4 accidents a week at 20 months. I PT'd them when I feelt they were ready and if they weren't ready I didn't force the issue.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:14 PM on May. 27, 2011