Does anyone know how potential employers/ colleges etc.. look at having a GED as opposed to a regular diploma?

My son is 18 but just his junior year of High school, he mentioned the other day maybe going to get his GED for work purposes but then still finish out and get a diploma as well, I don't know if #1 that is allowed, and my concern is if he gets the GED he won't want to finish for the diploma. Do you know what the difference is between the two when potential employers or colleges look at your info?

MommaB0334

Asked by MommaB0334 at 12:56 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• None. I went to college with e GED. I got a job with a GED.

Answer by gemgem at 12:57 PM on May. 27, 2011

• He can't do both...if he; gets his GED it's a diploma all he same and no the only diff. here in Fl. and I'm not sure if it;s still that way is I have to go to a community college first before I would have a chance at getting into a university....but I would do that anyways because it;s cheaper to get your AA that way then going to a university...as far as job a diploma is a diploma and most say did you graduate/earn your GED they don't really separate the 2. If he's not into school and as long as he gets his GED right away then I say encourage him to do so...I went the first week of my junior yr. and knew i was never going to pass so that's the route I took and I never regretted it at all and I'm 25.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I have a HS diploma so does my husband & my oldest son. I have only ONE time been asked to see the actual diploma. I know many people..my mom, my sister, my brother are some examples..that have GED's & got jobs with no problem. I also have a friend who never graduated AND failed her GED test. She puts down she graduated from our HS & not one person has questioned it in 25 years.
    Anonymous

• I have a GED. I never had a problem getting a job or enrolling in college. I'll be starting school again this fall for my Master's Degree.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

• GED or Diploma doesn't always matter, but he better have all the documentation complete and ready to show an employer.

You cannot get both a GED and and Diploma. Just tell him that the GED test is far harder than completing his HS diploma will be and it will cost him out of pocket to take the test and prep for the test.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It really depends on the job. Some don't care
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:58 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I have my GED and i have never had an issuse getting a job or even getting into a techinal college, i think if he wants to go to a big name state school IDK about that, but my husband has his High school dipomla and weve had the same job oppurnity!!
    good luck to ur son
    carol00

Answer by carol00 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011