Deli meats once in a while are fine if you heat them up before right? just making sure. i feel guilty for eating a turkey sandwich, but i wanted it so bad!

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 1:13 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i never heated up my deli meats before hand and i gave birth to 3 healthy children.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• they're fine even if you don't heat them up. i ate them cold all the time. cold hot dogs too
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I eat deli meats and cheeses and everything they say is not good and everything is fine.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes it's fine, but they do often carry listeria which can be very harmful for the baby, so heat them up to steaming in the micro, or even better sautee on the stove until crispy (Yum) or put in the oven w/ the bread and cheese for a toasted sub effect.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:17 PM on May. 27, 2011

• eat the turkey sandwich... the chances of contracting listoris are minute
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:18 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh Honey! Have your turkey sandwiches.

You are supposed to heat deli meats and hotdogs up in case they contain bacteria, viruses, parasites, or anything that wouldnt hurt you normally but could harm the baby. It probably wont be a problem with all the safety standards today. It is just a precaution.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I ate nothing but rare roastbeef sandwiches while i was pregnant with my 3rd and he is now 13 months old! but if your not sure or want to be really sfe check with your Dr. about it...this is what I found on it

It's not safe to eat precooked meats such as deli meats, hot dogs, and pâté when you're pregnant unless they're heated until steaming hot. Pregnant women are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis, and newborns – not moms – suffer the most serious effects of infection during pregnancy.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Okay, I thought so! First time mama to be here. I hear all this stuff and I get nervous! Thank you!
    kb81888

Comment by kb81888 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Never heard about heating them BUT if you're going to eat them (pregnant or not), make sure you eat the ones that are nitrite and nitrate-free.
    Anonymous

• I have been eating subway and deli meats throughout my whole pregnancy and im 31 weeks along! Its fine. Its a very very small chance that anything bad will happy. Dont feel bad! you are fine really!
    Mom2BeInJuly11

Answer by Mom2BeInJuly11 at 6:21 PM on May. 27, 2011