I need a rental car but they are so expensive. Anyone know how to make it cheaper?

I live in so cal and I need it from June 10-13. One that fits my 2 kids w/ carseats and my MIL in the back seat. Any help?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 1:19 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Travel

• Ask a family member, nieghbor, or friend if you can pay them to borrow thier's. Offer to fill up the gas before returning it and someone will probably let you.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• why do you need it?

Some times using a AAA card will bring down the price.
    Or if it is due to service on your car insurance might be helpful, or the repair shop.
    Anonymous

• IF you are going to borrow a friends car I would MAKE SURE your insurance covers you AND their car.
    Anonymous

• YOu mean MIL and hubby and 2 kids? I would try priceline.com,, you can bid on what you want to pay,, I got a chevy malibu for $12 per day, just make sure your auto insurance covers rentals,, if not you need to buy theirs and that will add about 10-15 per day,, have a good trip!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• A family VACA to las vegas lol. Its DH's aunts 50th birthday and we are going to go celebrate with the whole fam damnly lol. My FIL offered his car but its not big enough for all of us
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 1:24 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I rented my last van from a car dealership. They often have extra ones that they loan out to customers to replace one they are working on. And sometimes you could talk them into renting to you. It was much much cheaper than the rental places.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:34 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Rent at a site outside the airport. It can still be one of the main providers (e.g., National, Enterprise, etc.) but an off-airport site is cheaper.

Priceline is another good option.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Priceline. You state the price you want to pay and if one of the companies wants to rent to you they'll let you know. But don't be TOO cheap or you won't get any results. i would try for $20/day.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• have you tried the zipcar?
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 9:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

• try budget, avis, enterprise or the yellow pages for your local area and get one not by the airport they have better rates.....oh and make sure it has unlimited milage ........
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:52 AM on May. 28, 2011