Is it wrong to force my 4yr old to go with us when walk the dogs

of course he stayed home adult would stay with him.. But im frustrated with him not wanting to go.. Then having crazy energy! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, not crazy at all! Get the kid walking!! Too many kids stay home playing video games or watching TV or playing on the computer, even at that age. Get them walking! He should be walking the dog alone when he's older, so he might as well get used to it now!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Do you have a wagon he can ride in or help push or even a tricycle?
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 1:28 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Nope nothing wrong with it.

I think our biggest issue with children in society is always letting them get what they want. They feel that they get say in everything and we lose power as parents.

If you want him to go, don't give him the option. You can give him the option of walking or holding a leash but either way he is going.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:28 PM on May. 27, 2011

• LOL Walking the dog AND the kid to tire them out.

I see nothing wrong with it. It is a wonderfully healthy habit to get into AND starts them out with some responsibility for the pets.

Anonymous

• Why does he not want to go? I think it is odd he doesn't like too, but I would make him come with me, and play I spy or something while you walk,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Not crazy at all....Nothing wrong with expecting your child to get some exercise!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Sometimes he wants to go. but today he wanted to watch calliou not get outside.. ANd we offered his bike after once around the block bike but he said he was **tired** not meaning to sound bitchy and I would never say this to him..BUT I CALL BULL SHIT SWEETIE YOUR NOT TIRED I PROMISE U!! but maybe he could go with us twice a week or something. thanks for letting me vent
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I'm honestly puzzled why he has any say so at all. If I tell my children that we are doing something, that is that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i don't see anything wrong with making him go, i make my 5 yr old go...the kids begged and begged for a dog and with that comes responsibility...we do walks as a family, everyone goes. when my 5 yr old asks to ride his bike, we let him...exercise and getting outside is good for them, it is for everyone...too many kids are so lazy and their parents let them be and thats just sad to me. i think you did right by calling bull shit on him.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:43 PM on May. 27, 2011

• :) You're not bitchy. Been there. Done that. I have actually said to my 8 year old, "Sweetheart, if [friend] showed up asking you to play outside right this second you'd find your second wind. Buck up and walk buddy."

No, it's not wrong to insist he join you -- especially if the big road block is simply a TV show. I let my kids go on screen time until it becomes an issue. They spend a LOT of time outside with friends now and as such their consumption of TV and video games is minimal. However, when their time creeps up, I start requiring them to "earn" their minutes on the screen. For every 1 minute of TV or video games, they need to either read a page of a book or do some type of physical and/or outdoor activity. If DS, for example, thinks today is Scooby Doo marathon day, I say "yeah, sweetie, don't think so. Get out and play or read first. After an hour of that, you can have two Scooby episodes."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:45 PM on May. 27, 2011