Reverse Racism? I kept my mouth shut this time,, but next time I need something to say!

My DS is 6 and plays T-ball on a primarily black team, he plays with his friends and DH is an assistant coach. We have really had a good time, until his first game on Monday,, a parent from the other team kept calling my son white boy, and was screaming at his son don't let that honkey (I didn;t know anyone still used that word lol) tag you out,, NO ONE said anything to him until it was almost over the coach from his son's team asked him to quiet down,, I was so mad I was seething, but didn't say anything because I honestly didn't know what to do,, I guess we can expect this alot, now most of my son's team was mother's it was pretty early in the day, and the guy was big and you could tell he was looking for a fight, so I am not upset with them for not saying anything, my husband was very professional and told my boy not to pay attention to it ( he didnt;) but didn't want to have a fight with the guy, basically because it would have set a bad example,, what to do next time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You should do the same thing next time. Don't feed bullies who only want to make a fight. Let him look like the Jackass and you all look like the mature people you are. Your son will learn from the great examples you are setting.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Reverse Rascism?? Racism is Racism. You should have a talk with that man or have your Dh talk to him.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I want to know what you mean by reverse racism.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• That would have angered me.I don't think I could have kept my mouth shut. If it happens again maybe your husband or another coach can tell him to stop and if he doesn't, tell him to leave.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't have tolerated it. If that were my child's team I would have probably raised hell until that parent was removed from the game. That's the example I want to set for my child, not to ignore the problem but to deal with people who want to call kids names and have no racial tolerance at all. Imagine if you would have dropped a racial slur there. I'm pretty sure it would have gotten ugly. I would be addressing the board of directors over the league.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yeah people may call my boys white boys but I have not heard anyone dare call my boys honkeys. I would kick they're butt!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2011

• And I think the Coaches should handle the players.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I mean when someone who isn't white is yelling at a white CHILD about his race,, lets be VERY clear that I send my son to a racially mixed school for a reason, I don;t want him growing up thinking that he is better than anyone because of his skin color, my SIL is black and my MIL is half korean and black, so I know about prejuides,, and don't feel that it is okay no matter what color you are!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2011

• First off, the coaches of your sons team should have gone to the other teams coach and said something. Secondly, you know darn tootin that had some white mother been yelling "don't let that N***** or even black boy tag you out!" That mother would have gone all book of revelations on someone. Racism is racism period and should be unacceptable, especially at a childrens sporting event. If this is a school based team, I would go all the way to the Superintendant if I had to...no excuse for this kind of behavior esp in front of kids. She should have been shut up, or asked to leave. And what kind of lesson was that for her child? Ignorant!!!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Racism is racism. There is no such thing as reverse racism.
    You people with your 'lets be VERY clear that I send my son to a racially mixed school for a reason, I don;t want him growing up thinking that he is better than anyone because of his skin color," are so funny.Don't show your ass at your child's game. Show you can be the bigger person. Just tell him to ignore any name calling he knows who and what he is.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011