Pacifiers. What made you decide to use or not use a pacifier?

I plan on not using one at all.

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son wouldn't take one when I was nursing or when I wasn't nursing. I'd say it was HIS Choice :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:01 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I've always used them because the people at the hospital would stick on in their mouths before they were even born. But I found it to be no big deal because they were long done with them before reaching age 6 months.

Many people say they will or won't do something before they have their babies, but you never know what you will do until you are in the situation. There shouldn't be shame in having to go back and do something you planned on not doing. Your job is to do what's best for baby, not what pleases the current fad of society.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:01 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Didn't use because it would have just been another thing for them to get used to not having.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:02 PM on May. 27, 2011

• they help prevent against SIDS , so i used one with both kids
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:02 PM on May. 27, 2011

• pure science. babies have a sucking reflex and the pacifier helps to sooth that reflex so it doesn't bother them. just like a beaver needs to chew a baby needs to suck. once the reflex is gone there is no longer a need for one
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Nothing really lol.. I hadn't even thought about it. When they tried to give him one in the hospital, he wouldn't take it. We never have him one because he didn't like them. It worked out well :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My first son used one until he was one and one day I threw them out and he acted like it was nothing! My 6 month old hates them so we don't use it.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I didn't have a plan or an opinion. Both my babies girls (now teens) just didn't like them and spit them out. I didn't get my son until he was 9 months old and he didn't use them. I personally think they are good for well fed young babies who just need extra time to suck. I do not think they are good for older babies just to keep them from crying. My concern is for their incoming teeth and unnecessary attachment.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• *gave
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Did not want my babies to get use to having it. And just one more thing I have to ween my babies off of.

Answer by louise2 at 2:07 PM on May. 27, 2011