Do you think some people hide behind ESL?

I have a co-worker who tends to almost do whatever she wants and her excuss is that she didn't understand. She has been working with me for 8 years. Sometimes I wonder if she truly doesn't understand or acting like she doesn't understand so that she get away with making more mistakes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think she has selective understanding: she understands what she wants to.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:10 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Some people might but not all. My mom understands english pretty well but some things honestly do fly over her head. she was in her 30's when we moved to the u.s. So learning english was a little tough for her. I know I pretend not to speak english when the mormon missionaries approach me on the street or when guys hit on me and I don't want to hurt their feelings. Sad but true lol!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes, some do. I worked for a department store for many years. The cleaning staff was contracted out. I would several times say hello to them and ask how they were doing. I got back a 'no habla ingles'. And then they would walk away and speak clear English to others on the cleaning staff. I know not everyone is like this, but some do seem to be hiding behind it.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• pictures speak louder than words
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:35 PM on May. 27, 2011