Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

SSI & household income

I get SSI for my child. We are going to move in with my boyfriend. I know I have to report his income to dhs and we will lose benefits because of household income.

My question is, do I have to report his income to SSI. We are not married and he is not going to be supporting us.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • not to be mean but are ya crazy she can get in trouble for not reporting you report it but let them now that you pay for your own expenses and he pays for his own and dont say hes your boyfriend just a roommate

    Answer by crystal7.22.201 at 2:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Yes. I used to get SSI for my oldest and it's household income, doesn't matter if you're related or not. Personally, if he weren't willing to share his financial info with me, I wouldn't get serious enough with him to move in.

    Answer by missanc at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • My dd lives with her bf. She gets ssi for her children. She had to report her bf's income to ssi

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:38 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Yes, you have to report his income because you are living with him. If your bf is paying the rent/mortgage, housing insurance & utilities, then he is supporting you & your child and SS considers that "income" of a sort because you are not paying those bills.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I gave you a are not married so I don't think I would report it. I don't know for sure...I would hate for it to catch up with you and you have to pay it back. Can you check the rules on their website?

    Answer by mkdirector2011 at 2:31 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I looked online and it talks mostly about household income. I didn't think it would count because he is not a parent and he is not supporting us, but then I was unsure since it says household income and he is in the household.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:44 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • In that case, what kind of information do I need to have. He won't give me any of his financial information. Will I need to have that? Or can I just tell them he is a roommate and won't give me the info?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:00 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I found this...

    Current SSI rules recognize only spousal and parent-child relationships when assessing eligibility and benefits. Spousal relationships are essentially limited to legally married couples, although SSI rules also treat a man and woman who live in the same household as married if they hold themselves out as husband and wife to the community in which they live.3 Other types of relationships between SSI recipients and household members do not affect benefit payments unless the recipient lives in the household of another person and receives in-kind support and maintenance from that person. Thus, SSI units are classified as either individuals or married couples, with no explicit recognition of NCMs, although recipients may well live in a family or household with additional persons and additional recipients who are not part of a parent-child or husband-wife relationship.4

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Nope. Hes not your kids father and your not married you dont have to

    Answer by Augusta at 2:30 PM on May. 27, 2011