Bed wetting.... You a nasty lil thing!!

So before ya start bashing me... I NEVER called my children that for bed wetting...but their paw paw has.

I have 2 bedwetters. My oldest(8) and youngest son(5). For the first year or two of their bed wetting dh was NOT helpful at all!! He would tell them that they are "Too old to be wetting the bed" "Need to stop that sh*t...You know many loads of laundry it takes to clean that piss smell out of the room?"

He and I had one of the biggest arguments of our relationship over this. I was a bed wetter up until the age of 13 or 14. My brother was and so was my dad.

When my brother and I wet the bed my parents NEVER made us feel less than. "Did you wet the bed? Yes? Hop in the tub... breakfast'll be on the table."

BAM. End of Discussion. I never had low self esteem from it. My parents were sure that I knew that it was a medical condition and that I shouldnt feel bad about it.

Now, I have explained this to dh. I made him well aware of the damage he was inflicting on the boys by making them feel so low. Ever since he stopped doing that they wet the bed less and less. I am so proud of that!!

Now dh's parents and his sister are in a freaking tizzy about they boys wetting the bed. Our boys are supposed to be going to dh's parents house for a few days during the summer break. I was okay with the idea until his dad said that "The 2 bed wetters will be wearing pull ups." No the f**k they will not!!

My boys have made it very clear how much it would kill them to have to wear pull ups. One of them even cried saying, "Mama i'm trying not to wet the bed. I'm not a baby. Please."

Dh's sister wants to make them wear a bed wetting alarm. We've tried several alarms with our boys....they never work for them. They just train US, not them lol.

So now i'm the big black monster from the lagoon because I am seriously considering not letting my boys stay over with them.

I told dh IF, and thats a really big IF, they go and his parents and I find out they were ridiculed for bed wetting or made to wear pull ups that his parents will NEVER spend more then 15 minutes alone with my kids again. I'm dead serious.

I mean they KNOW they wet the bed... if its such an issue then don't keep them overnight.

Am I wrong here ladies??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't let them be ridiculed by someone who is supposed to be a figure of love in their lives. They will grow up hating pawpaw for it, and I don't blame them at all. If they have a medical condition, they have a medical condition, its not the end of the world. Pawpaw probably is ashamed to think his grandkids are immature and won't get up to go to the bathroom in time at night. If he doesn't get it, give him some literature on the subject, but don't leave the kids with him anymore anyway. I hope they are ok :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 3:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i wouldnt let them stay
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I would just not send them
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:36 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Have you talked to a dr or pediatrition? There are medical problems that can cause this! My bro. wetted until about 17 then he went to the dr and they gave him some meds and it stopped... i wouldnt let the kids go though...
    kpolitte

Answer by kpolitte at 2:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• The room doesnt reek... Dh was being over dramatic.
    The beds have plastic covers and on top of that are the medical grade absorption pads...they are washable.

As I said they have gotten to a point where they may wet the bed 1 or twice a week. Whereas it used to be EVERY NIGHT.
    Positive reinforcement as worked wonders with them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes I have talked to their ped, as well as my dad (a doc)....
    It is indeed a medical condition. I sat down with the entire family (includng his family) and I let them know that my brother nor I was ever put on medication. So I had no plans to do that with them.

It makes it worse when the ones around you, constantly shove it in your face.
    "Pee on yourself AGAIN? Are you depressed? Don't have any friends at school? Suicidal?" <~~~~ Dh's sister actually asked my boys this!!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Some people just don't get it. I would not send them anywhere where people are not kind about it. I know you said you don't want meds, but a relative of mine had a nasal spray that helped tons. Worth asking doctor, maybe. Just an idea. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:37 PM on May. 27, 2011

• no not at all! you stand your ground you know whats best for them and being ridiculed of something that a majority of kids even up to age 12 go through its not going to help its only going to make it worse, i dont know if they are the sort of people that may be open, but if you can, try to have a sit down/phone talk with them without the kids around, and discuss with, that you have talked with their doctor and he/she has already told you that it is very normal and that getting mad and angry and calling em names will only make them more nervous and cause more accidents and straight up tell them that this is the way it is and they must just over it -tell em to get some plastic covers to go under the sheet on the beds the boys will sleep in and just be prepared to make the boys feel welcomed with open arms no matter what they do! tell em that if they cant handle it then they dont need to see these wonderful kids at all
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 2:42 PM on May. 27, 2011