Should I take my dog to the vet??

I have a black lab who is two years old. She is house broken, sleeps inside at night plays outside in our yard during the day. We do not have a dogie door and she pooped/diarrhea all over my living room. Thank goodness we have hardwood floors. I figured since she is eating, drinking water and seems to be okay, not to worry. Am I under reacting??

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 2:27 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I'd call just to make sure and see what they say. I hope its nothing. Good luck.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:30 PM on May. 27, 2011

• No. Animals can get stomach viruses too. You can actually give her some pepto bismol. If she continues to have diareahea or if you pinch her skin (not hard) and it doesn't fall right back, then she might be dehydrated and will need to see the vet. Good luck!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:30 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i used to work at a vet's office. anytime your pet is having diarrhea or vomitting we always suggested not feeding them for the rest of the day. water is ok. give them half of what you normally feed the next day. or give them boiled chicken and rice instead of their usual food. you can buy chicken and rice by the can if you prefer. NOT ALPO!
    if your dog is still having diarrhea after tomorrow's feeding then call your vet.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 2:53 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I second what SarahM.1983 said
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:51 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Here is a BLAND diet Recipe - Feed this for 2-3 days: It should help -  I would not rush to the Vet as long as she is keeping water down;  Keep a good eye on her...

SEE recipes here: Bland dog foods

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/2009/9/Amount-homemade-food-pom.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:26 AM on May. 28, 2011