Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is an attorney worth the $$

My ex hasn't paid child support in two years, I have a case with the Attorney General office - as we all know, they have so many cases, ect - nothing seems to be done.
So, I really, can't afford an attorny, but would it be worth hiring one to help find my ex and try to get child support? Anyone had more luck with a private attorney? What other options does an attorney have?
Have you ever uses an on-line site to find someone? An ex? How much did that cost?
What are the best options? Right now, we're doing okay, sorta living pay-check to pay-check. I do have to borrow money from my parents here and there, which I hate!
Any suggestions?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • if you have a local health and welfare office i would go see them, ours over here in idaho are the ones that open up child support cases search for the parent and if the dad isnt paying they will issue a case worker and an attorney for free if your eligible to do it all and as soon as they find him and he has any pay checks or tax return they will start garnishing it and paying you whatever he owes,
    yes attorneys are pricey they may have an option for you to pay back in payments later but it may not be worth it because until you start seeing child support money from the dad it might not be enough to pay back the fees, i hope you are able to get help to find him and get him to pay, good luck

    Answer by RobinEsMommy at 2:48 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I'm in Texas. I'm assuming he did not file an income tax last year, I have not heard anything from the IRS. I was hoping they'd track him by him filing. BUT I'm guessing, the two agencies don't talk to one another if by chance he didn't get a refund.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • ....Attorney General of Texas Greg Abbott there is a page/tab called 'child support' and other child support services are listed under that hope that helps

    Answer by RobinEsMommy at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I have a case with the attorney general

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on May. 27, 2011