How do YOU pronounce "gyro"?

My other question about Greek food got me thinking about the two most common pronunciations for "gyro". Do you pronounce it like "JAI-ro' (rhymes with Cairo), or like "YEAR-o" (like a year, with an o)? Or some other way?

Asked by KateDinVA at 3:14 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• like year-o. I had a friend that was Greek in high school and she told me it drove her nuts when people said it wrong (her family owned a restaurant so it happened a lot). her name was Vasso.

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:24 PM on May. 27, 2011

• yee-roh is the accepted pronunciation.

Answer by Jenny-talia at 3:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I know it's not correct, but I pronounce it like JI RO...long I, long O

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2011

• year-o

Answer by scout_mom at 3:15 PM on May. 27, 2011

• sposed to be YEAR-O, right? lol
    I try to remember to say it that way but I always end up saying GIE-ROW

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yee-roh

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:17 PM on May. 27, 2011

• euro like the european money

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Year-o, although sometimes I catch myself saying it the other way and foolishly, in the dumbest way possible, correct myself. Yeah, im good at making an ass out of myself in public lol

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I grew up in a heavily Greek area, and it was always "year-o". When I met my DH and SIL they called it a "jai-ro", and when I ordered a "year-o" neither they - nor the person at the restaurant - knew what I was talking about. So I changed my order ;-)

Yesterday I was having dinner at my favorite Greek restaurant and the waitress "corrected" my dinner order to "jai-ro" I was flabbergasted! If I hadn't eaten there several times and met the owner/cook, I would have changed my order (I figure, if you can't say it, you can't cook it).

I don't fault my DH and SIL for not pronouncing it "year-o", but if you are a waitress at a GREEK RESTAURANT, well...

Comment by KateDinVA (original poster) at 6:49 PM on May. 27, 2011