Is prayer-begging an insult to your deity?

It's one thing if you tell someone about a bad thing going on in your life, and they voluntarily say, "oh that's horrible, I'll pray for you." I can even see why someone would ask for prayers on another person's behalf, like "my child is sick, please send prayers." But, if you go around asking people PRAY FOR ME!!!! Isn't that a bit egocentric? If the story alone isn't enough to make them sympathetic enough to pray on their own, is trying to guilt them into it with a direct request going to somehow make it better? Maybe it's just me, but it comes across as, "help me outmaneuver my deity".

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• My thing is, shouldn't the whole idea of prayer be between you and a deity or however you do it? Asking for someone else to pray seems pointless. It won't get your brownie points and it won't make the deity hear you anymore. Some people believe the more people pray the better the results. To me it is just sending out that positive energy to the targeted person.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Not if you believe in the power of prayer. I don't tell people how to pray, but I don't usually ask for a specific outcome, I pray for strength, encouragement, peace, ect.  My ego isn't big enough that I'm going to tell other people how to pray, I just do what feels right to me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I see it more as a request for more manipulation of the deity. As if more prayers will somehow get the deity to act. And I agree that it's egoistic. It's one persons ego pulling at the emotional strings of the ego in others.

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 4:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I have a hard time when people tell about something horrible happening and ask for prayers. I don't believe asking for things such as prayers. I pray when I need strength and pray for good health for my family and myself. but I would not be that bold to ask anyone to pray for me or anyone. Its between you and God if you believe in one.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• No.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• No
    You are putting way too much thought into a simple, harmless request- usually among friends-
    I am not sure why you are putting a negative spin on something like "please pray for me"- if you do not want to either decline or ignore-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:50 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I am not sure why you are putting a negative spin on something like "please pray for me"

I think you're going out of your way to generalize all prayer requests into a neat, inoffensive little box. They're hardly all polite moments between friends. It would be more convenient if they were, but it's just not the case.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:52 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Technically, telling anyone about your problems is egocentric whether you ask them to pray for you or not. We are all social beings though and it feels good to have others listen in support which is why we share and vent *that's normal*. Those of us who believe in prayer, feel great being supported in prayer rather than just with listening ears because we have so much respect for the power of our God. The bible teaches us to pray, Jesus models how to pray and even asked his diciples to pray for certain things. The disciples often pray for the church and some chapters of the Bible are prayers for the church people. The bible also states in Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.". So, another good reason to pray together and for each other. God delights in our prayers. In Revelation, He speaks of prayers as incense.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 4:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i dont understand why ppl act like having more ppl pray makes the Divine do something...like theres some magic number to getting your request. (i can just see God rolling his eyes like a teenager saying "ok, gees, stop nagging, i'll do it, just stop asking!")

but i know that prayer is shown to work when a person knows that they are being prayed for. so maybe knowing there are ppl out there who care (even if you had to ask) makes whatever is wrong seem a little easier to deal with. maybe having others feel bad enough for them that they take your problem to their deity gives them the strength to go on. at least thats what ive always figured.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• They're hardly all polite moments between friends. It would be more convenient if they were, but it's just not the case.

The title and the OP should have been your first warning- much like your advice to not open flagged posts or to turn on your filter- this would have been a good one to avoid- I know I did-

I think you're going out of your way to generalize all prayer requests into a neat, inoffensive little box

And just change the word inoffensive to offensive and it would describe what you are doing in this post-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:58 PM on May. 27, 2011