Your toddler just screamed in frustation.....

(Not pain) from another room. What do you do?

If you go check it out, he is trying to climb on to a couch. Do you sit him up there, distract him, take him to another room?

Or do you let him figure it out himself?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 3:33 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• With toddlers if it's anything potentially dangerous, I distract them. I'm not going to chance them getting hurt so just so they can keep climbing something like that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I check on him. If it's not dangerous, I let him try to figure it out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:36 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I would just go get him and sit on the couch with him.He'll learn to climb up there soon enough.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:39 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I would FLY out of my chair. If my son can't figure it out, he comes to me and asks for help. I'll stand/sit with him and guide him into figuring it out, praising his accomplishments.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I would let him use my knee to stand on so he could pull himself up there. Then again, my toddler already knows how to slide off backwards on his belly so I don't have to worry much about him crawling headfirst off the couch or my bed or where ever
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:44 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My DH runs and helps my 2 yo do EVERYTHING! I would rather him figure it out, also teaching him how to deal with his frustration.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• If they can not get on the couch they don't need to be on the couch unless I am with them. If there is screaming, I always check.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:57 PM on May. 27, 2011

• it would depend on the situation i supposed. my toddler cried when she couldnt get onto the couch, we just taught her how to climb onto it. now she cries because she cant get the lid to the toilet by herself. if she gotta go potty we put her on her potty, but if it just because she wants to play in it, we reinforce that the bathroom is not a room to play in and we walk her out of there.
    hnaused2010

Answer by hnaused2010 at 4:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• id check. then ask what was making her mad. she'd tell me & then i'd offer to help. but she'd refuse (she always wanted to do everything herself, still does) & then i'd let her figure it out herself, while watching to make sure she didnt get hurt or too frustrated.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:26 PM on May. 27, 2011

• check on them- then ask if the screaming helped to get the job done- my youngest was a screamer and it took forever to break the habit- as he got older I told him- I only want to hear that kind of screaming if you are hurt or in danger-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:34 PM on May. 27, 2011