Embarrassing Question- Reoccurring Yeast Infections and the itchiness adult content

I am 30 weeks pregnant and during most of my pregnancy I have had these god awful yeast infections. I use Monistat to cure them which they would go away for a week and come back :(. I sleep with no underwear to let my area breathe but since I am self conscious about my body I usually wrap up in a blanket. Which is probably a bad idea because my house becomes so warm at night. I even tried a baking soda bath, which didn't make me feel any better. I used to use Vagisal for the itching which is my problem here but my doctor said stop using it because it has alcohol in it. So I use the Monistat stuff for the itchiness which doesn't do anything :(. So what can I use for the itchiness down there and to prevent anymore yeast infections?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• constant yeast infections can be a symptom of diabetes. Has your doctor checked you for gestational diabetes?
    I can't imagine that Vagasil has so much alcohol in it that you need to worry about that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:48 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Ask your doc if they will allow you to take a probiotic.

I had 7-8 of them a year until I started taking one. I take PB8. I get it at my local wellness center (not gnc). It is refrigerated and has over 50,000 good bacteria cultures. The equivalent to eating 70 servings of yogurt. It works for both yeast and bacterial infections along with tons of other things in the body.
    Since I started taking them 3 years ago, I haven't had one...even when taking antibiotics. And I took it during my pregnancy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:48 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Has your OB tested you for bacterial vaginosis? That would be my first recommendation. Also, try wiping with tucks after using the bathroom. Witch hazel is a great astringent.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:52 PM on May. 27, 2011

• @onethentwins I had gotten tested and I have no diabetes
    @Jademom07 I could ask my doctor this week when I see her if I could take a probiotic. I really don't want my kid to come out with thrush
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh, and about the underwear... you need to wear them all the time possible. The vagina is a self-cleaning oven, and all the stuff it disposes of is hung to dry in cotton panties. if you're NOT wearing undies, the bacteria and germs it is disposing of are harboring in your labia (lips) or on your inner thighs, creating a breeding ground for fungus and bacteria.

Please, wear some panties!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:57 PM on May. 27, 2011

• @ matobe No she hasn't tested me for that which is odd but I could ask her to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on May. 27, 2011

• @ Matobe my doctor said I either wear loose shorts or no panties for my area to breathe. So I didn't want to do neither so I did buy some all white cotton panties and it only made my yeast infection worst than ever
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Through all my pregnancies i kept gettin yeast infections an my doctor told me they were common with pregnancy but they precribed me a cream to inject every night an that actually worked u should ask ur doctor bout that because the monistat i dont really care too much for!!..

Tyian P.
    CamChloeMommy

Answer by CamChloeMommy at 4:26 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Put some yogurt on the affected area, very soothing. I second the probiotics recommendation.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 4:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't bother asking your doc about probiotics, I'd just take them, but that's just me. I've had recurring yeast infections since DS was born, and I've noticed a very consistent link between how much sugar I eat and getting infections. If I cut out sweets, I didn't get yeast infections! I've been bad since I've been pregnant, and haven't laid off the sweets at all, but fortunately, I never get infections bad enough to be irritating. Good luck!
    Anonymous