PCOS, diabetes and more...

My sister has heath issues she is just now finding out about since she has started trying to have a baby with her husband. I know a fair amount of women have these issues...She is overweight but diets and exercises daily. Have you dealt with this and what has helped/worked?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• its extreemly hard for women with PCOS to loose weight, i would have her talk to her doc and see what kind of medications they can put her on to get her to ovulate like metformin and clomid
    Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 4:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My adult dd had all that. She took Metformin (sp?) for the PCOS. It melted the pounds off of her. She was no longer diabetic and had her son. All worked out for her.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i recently started going to an RE(reproductive endocrinologist) they thought i had PCOS for year but turns our i dont, Thank God that is a very horrible thing to have. tell her to eat an extreemly light diet and kick up her works,
    Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 4:18 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I was told I had PCOS (no diabetes though) and yes, it was very hard for me to lose weight by the traditional methods my doctors recommended ... stay under a certain # of calories, burn more calories than you consume, follow the food pyramid, exercise, blah, blah, blah. I did all those things diligently and I still only ever gained weight. I started researching hyperinsulinemia and a light bulb went off - it was me! I started a low-carb diet, lost 70+ pounds without trying, and my periods regulated for the first time in my life. I had no medical intervention conceiving (after years of my docs saying I'd never get pregnant without their help); had 2 successful pregnancies. I suggest reading the Heller's book "The Carbohydrates Addicts Diet" or Dana Carpender's book "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds and How You Can Too". They are real eye-openers as to how the body really works.
    Anonymous