How can I get my 3 yr. old to sleep in their own bed??

My daughter who is 3 once she falls asleep I put her in her bed. But she always wakes up in the middle of the night and crawls into my husband and I's bed. Is there anything that can be done to where she won't wake up during the night and end up in the bed?? It's not comfortable at all?? HELP I'm willing to try anything.

Arual2303

Asked by Arual2303 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You shouldn't have started letting her sleep with you in the first place

I never let my kids sleep with me.  I never had a problem trying to get them to sleep in their own bed.

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Wow!! I wish I had an answer!!! My daughter has never slept in her own bed!!! Have you looked at Dr. Sears website? He has some great insight into this topic.
    I have read that this will pass as they get older. As I said, my daughter hasn't ever slept in her room- I've been going with Dr. Sears philosophy and so far so good.

You can try taking her back to her bedroom, then going back to bed. I've also heard the "Floppy Sleep Game" is a great read for this type of behavior.
    As for those naysayers...you've taken the time to respond- at least offer some positive advice.

Good luck!!!
    Banana123

Answer by Banana123 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My first suggestion is don't wait until she falls asleep to put her in bed. She probably doesn't fully understand that she's supposed to sleep there. Set her bedtime and put her to bed at her bedtime. Tell her that she needs to stay in her bed tonight, read your stories, say your goodnights, and leave the room. Anytime she gets up until morning, put her straight back into her bed. If she cries, let her cry. She needs to learn that her bed is where she sleeps.

We recently put our 2-1/2 year old in a toddler bed and she will sometimes get up. What we have done is put a gate at her doorway so that she can't leave her room. It's been 3 weeks now and we haven't once had her wake up in the morning in any bed but her own.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I dont know I have the same problem. I am going to try putting her to sleep in her play pen at the foot of our bed. once she is use to that then maybe I can move her to her own bed in her room. but I am not too worried about it. we are all comfortable with her in bed with us so we are going to take our time getting her in her own room.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2008