My little man has to get tubes in his ears

He's 22 months and already has had 8 ear infections in 9 months. I know its for the best but it scares me. What do I need to expect? When will he be back to normal? They told me it's simple and they are in and out in a half hour.
Can any moms tell me what its like, what to expect and what I can do for him afterwards? Thanks!

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:16 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little girl had her tubes done at 6 months. its hard not knowing what to expect, but it was definitely harder on us than it was on her. they let u stay with them until they go in the back for the surgery itself. a little while later, i think w her it took half hour to do both ears. when they come out they call u into the recovery room, depending on how scared they are when they wake up will depend on if ur little guy is crying or not. kota cried till she saw mommy n then she was fine. its been a year now and her left ear has fallen out and she is ok. no problems at all. she scheduled for a checkup next month, but doc says she is fine. no ear infections at all since tubes went in
    hnaused2010

Answer by hnaused2010 at 4:20 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My DS was 5 when he had his in and is getting then in again in a few days. :0( It is very quick! hey typically do the little ones first. He may wake up fussy but will soon be back to normal. The anesthesia made my son very nauseous but that to passed in a few hours. It wil be hard to watch them take him but it honestly is very fast.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• my grandson had to have pe tubes in their ears. it only lasts a half an hour. both parent got to go back after surgery. my grandson was fine. as they grow the tubes will fall out. he maybe a little groggy all my grandson wanted was to be held by his dad.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:50 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Beyond getting through recovery and the first day or so, there won't be much to do. The biggest thing will be keeping water out of his ears.
    Anonymous