My son is 3 years old an his behavior is really getting out of hand! he gets smart with me every chance he gets, he only listens to his father! what should i do?

CamChloeMommy

Asked by CamChloeMommy at 4:40 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is the exact same way and she's only 2. I tell her 'stop it' or ' dont do that' and she tells me 'dont tell me stop it' and is constantly telling me no. If you find a way let me know! :P
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 4:42 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It means if anything to be honest you let him get away with too much and are letting him step all over you..you need to lay down the law..try time outs and taking things away if he doesnty behave.. if this doesnt help u may want to possiblly have him tested for add/adhd.. hope my input helps
    hamilcha

Answer by hamilcha at 4:44 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Give them time out 1 minute per age, if necessary, lightly hold them and sit with them during their time out. Sit quit and don't say a word. Above all do not give into their power struggles. Do not let them control or change you. Keep logical and do not let them see that they can affect your emotions. Laugh, smile and do not argue or yell. They will soon see that you not they control you.....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Its the same way with my 4 year old son! Hes been acting like that for about a year now. We do think that he has add or adhd because his dad does too.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:47 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I mean in public is when he really acts up like calling me names.I have tried the time out an taking away toys that makes him act up even more..if i send him to his room for time out he will go in there an say im going to mess my room up an start throwing stuff around.I asked his doctors bout adhd they said no way kids tend to be active but i think i need a 2nd answer because this is an everyday thing.an my mom an sisters tell me im letting him control me and they tease me and say he is your parent but i seriously need help cuz everything i tried is not working
    CamChloeMommy

Comment by CamChloeMommy (original poster) at 4:52 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Do you fallow though with the punishments? Or do you just give up and say wait tell your dad gets home?

He needs to feel that both of you are in charge.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Honestly i always be like wait til daddy comes or let me go get daddy...but sometimes when i do punish its like he will be like whatever an shake it off an go back to the same smatness
    CamChloeMommy

Comment by CamChloeMommy (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 27, 2011

• If you are telling him to wait until daddy comes home, then he knows that you have no control over the discipline, that someone else has to do it. You need to step up to the plate. If the time out isn't working, then go to an old fashioned swat on the behind. It worked years ago and my generation would have never thought about talking back to our parents. When we were told "wait til daddy gets home" it was because mom already punished us and dad was going to be next.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• sounds like you need to stop letting daddy handle it when he comes home and disapline him for the action he did right then and there and follow through wit wat you say your going to do if you tell him your takeing his fav toy away for the day do it things like that. i agree with attap5 when i was told wait til your dad gets home we knew we were in some big trouble
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:19 AM on May. 28, 2011

• My Daughter is the same way, and she is 3 1/2. I used to go really easy on her, but I have toughened up. I will give her time out or a swat on the butt if she does not listen. This seems to be helping...slowly. My Hubby always took over for the punishment for her and I think that is where the problem came from, she was all like well I can do whatever I want to with Mom. But I let her know that it not the case and she cannot act like that towards me either.
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 3:34 PM on May. 31, 2011