Is my full-time job worth it?

I work full-time, make decent money and get pretty good vacation time. The only problem is, I work 4 days on, 2 days off. I get only 1 weekend off every 6 weeks, I work evenings from 1pm-10pm so I miss a lot of family functions, church gatherings, birthday parties. Next year my daughter starts school and will have school programs, sports, activities etc.
Is it worth the decent money (which I've needed to carry us through when my husband is out of work) to miss so much family stuff? I don't make extra $ to play with, but it pays the bills.
Or should I look for something in this economy where I can work a 9-5 Monday through Friday. And how do you find those jobs?
I work in emergency services now.

ELANTZ

Asked by ELANTZ at 5:00 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• We did with less to have family time. You can never go back to make it up. For us it was worth it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Good Luck finding the 9-5. I am not trying to sound rude, I just know those are what everyone seems to want.

I understand you need the $...but if you COULD find something to allow you more family time, that would be the best. They are only young once and well, I know I couldn't handle missing out on so many things...but that is just the kind of person I am. What does your dh think?
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 5:05 PM on May. 27, 2011

• thanks. I'm just noticing as she gets older, I'm trying to squeeze in all the fun on my 2 days off, and I'd rather spread that out a little. Plus with me working evenings, she'll be in school all day, I'll work at night and never see her.
    ELANTZ

Comment by ELANTZ (original poster) at 5:05 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My dh knows I like to work, and I am the one that gets the bills paid. He works too but we have different shifts so our dd never has to go to a sitter. She's always with one of us.

I didn't take it as you being rude. I know those hours are extremely difficult to find. I have been at my job now for 9 years. We have a day shift that would be better but it goes by seniority and there are about 3 ahead of me, so it could be another 10 years before I make it to that shift.
    ELANTZ

Comment by ELANTZ (original poster) at 5:08 PM on May. 27, 2011

• You'll miss so much with that schedule. Hope you will be able to find a 9-5 or something with more flexible options. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:10 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I'm seriously thinking of going back to school online and getting my accounting degree. I love working with numbers, budgets, finances etc and those types of businesses are open 24 hours like where I work now. It'll take a couple years but I think I can do it.
    ELANTZ

Comment by ELANTZ (original poster) at 5:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Instead of going the 9-5 route, in your line maybe finding a third shift job would work. Go in at 10 or 11 and get off at 8 or 9. Get some room darkening blinds and sleep the day, be up when your daughter is home from school and have the afternoon and early evening for family time. You would still miss some functions, but not as many.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• work sucks
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:32 PM on May. 27, 2011

• One thing that I have learned especially being a single mom that I needed to spend more time with my son. its like they get older not younger and you cant get those years back with your kids. I worked full time just like you but I go to school full time so I really don't have time for my baby but I am getting my business degree to be my own boss. I recently found a legit work from home job also so pretty soon i will be able to dump my 9-5 and make my own schedule with this work from home. So do what you have to do to pay your bills and spend time with your kids all at the same time .Look towards a career not a job theirs a big difference,

Good luck Mommy!
    beauti_ful

Answer by beauti_ful at 1:09 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I thonk honestly you can have it all...I do...I worked all kinds of Daycare and cleaning things to be able to be home with the kids...The draw back there...EXHAUSTION....Being that I always had 5 kids around, and only 2 were mine and everyone was under 5 it was super time consuming,

I started looking in 08 for Legit WAH stuff...I started with Melaleuca, I worked hard and consistent for 2 1/2 yrs...without going into too much...they screwed me and I left for Prepaid Legal Services....

Ive been with Prepaid Legal Services for over 1 1/2 yrs now I DUMPED all my other work stuff and NOW I CAN WORK 20 HRS a week and make a FT income from home truly.....so all that the kids needs, rides, school activities etc...I can guilt free do it all.

Id love to help you too, the credentials our company has a BETTER THAN ANYTHING you will find too. From the NYSE, to BBB A+, to top 100 Business list for Forbes!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:26 AM on May. 28, 2011