Christain and following christ, difference?

Why is there such a difference between christians and those that truely follow christ?

CoiaCuppcake

Asked by CoiaCuppcake at 5:14 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The difference is in their actions. Being Christian is not just believing in Christ, it's living out Christ's teachings. This can be a real challenge at times.........he's one doozy of a role model to follow.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 5:25 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Can you be more specific?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:34 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Actions, really. Anyone who believes Jesus was the Messiah is a Christian, plain and simple. "Christ" comes from the Greek word "Christos" meaining "anointed one", and that's a reference to the Biblical Messiah. So anyone who believes that Jesus was this Messiah, a.k.a the "Christons"is a CHRISTian.
    However, as wil all religions, there are good and bad representatives of that religion. Just because they define themselves as a member of a particular religion, that doesn't mean they follow the accepted practices of that religion. Maddoff defined himself as a Jew and yet, he acted i nway that went completely against Jewish values and teachings. Is he still a Jew? Sure. Is he a "good" Jew, representing what Judaism stands for? Not in the slightest.

sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree with Deedee3849.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:38 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Honestly I think there are very few "true" followers of christ. I've met a couple IRL and a couple on here. The rest of christian by name only, IMO.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I think there is a huge difference in the kinds of Christians who merely believe in Jesus, say for their ticket to the afterlife, and those who actually strive towards emulating the character we see in Jesus, who work on cultivating the virtues of love and compassion that he possessed and encouraged. Repent and follow me didn't used to mean merely asking for forgiveness and being saved, it was a call to action, a call to truly *follow*....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Jesus said, "Many worship me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." We are also told to be doers of the Word and not hearers only. The hearers are the "Sunday-morning-Christians", the "pew warmers"...they are basically just giving lip-service. The doers are the ones who hear the Word, act on the Word, and apply the Word.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:30 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Those who truly follow Christ have no personal belongings yet want for nothing and would be living the most simple and humble of lives, spreading the word of their savior. They know that the Bible is flawed and that if Jesus was really the son of God and God is good, then Jesus would have just wanted people to love and take care of each other. Christians, the ones who are involved in an organized religion, are hypocrites. Especially the ones who fight and condemn other religions for not having the same beliefs. If Jesus was who he was, he wouldn't want people worshipping him. He is a guide for how to live the very short life we're given, not an idol.
    GreenHippieMom

Answer by GreenHippieMom at 8:45 AM on May. 28, 2011

• "...the greatest single cause of ateism in the world today is christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds inbelieveble..." Thank you daTalk!!

People who say they are Christains and yet are so filled with hate for their fellow man b/c of .... I m FAR from perfect but I DO follow Jesus' teaching to love one another as He loves us. Who really cares if achmed follows the Koran - love him, show him God's love. Feed children, no Im not saying give all your money to teh tv commercials but maybe donate to foodbanks so a kid CAN have dinner in your neighborhood.

Jesus doesn't expect perfection, heck if He wanted that He sure wouldn't want me. I don't look at skin color or ethinicity(sp) I look at a person's heart and from their if I see hurt, anger, etc. then I ask God where I should go with this person.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:06 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I can tell you the HARDEST thing He has ever done is tell me to pray for bin Laden. With every inch of my soul I pray he made peace with God before his death.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:07 AM on May. 29, 2011