Is this normal for young boys?

My 5 year old goes pee ALL the time! At first I started wondering if he had a liver/kidney problem or that he was diabetic. I asked him why he went so often and he said he didn't like holding his pee in too long because when he did, it made his "pee pee" big and it embarrasses it?? I didn't type that wrong, those were his exact words. He is my oldest boy so I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should still take him to be checked out. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did you ask his dad? I really couldn't say, but I bet a guy would know. Maybe this is how it feels to him ??
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• he might have a bladder infectino idk.. but if not then i dont think anything is wrong with him peeing a lot... and its not NORMAL or TYPICAL but its not weird.. kids say the darndest things! just let it go. the only thing i would get him checked out about is if he may have a bladder infection or uti or something.
    Anonymous

• This is the OP...

Yeah, I mean he doesn't complain that it hurts or anything.  He visits the bathroom probably about every 15 minutes or so throughout the day and it's just annoying to me!

Anonymous

• i would still get him checked to make sure because sometimes you can not even know it and have a bladder infection or a uti... and the doctor can alsso answer any question you have too :)
    Anonymous

• My oldest son does this - youngest isn't potty trained yet, but pees much less than my older - and for him it is mainly associated with taking in too much processed sugar in his diet. When he eats more healthy, less processed stuff that doesn't contain white sugar, he doesn't pee like this. This also affects his behavior so that when he's peeing all day he is hyper too. He does have ADHD so we just skip sugar for the most part - although he has candy now and then or bday cake. In small amounts he handles it fine, but taking it in daily with lots of processed foods really does him in and he's back to the bathroom over and over. As for the "getting bigger" part, he has told me that when he wakes in the morning he has to go or it won't go down and is very uncomfortable. He's not mentioned it being like that throughout the day, but it would seem logical that it could be that way if he feels that way 1st thing in the morning.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I had two boys, and that did not happen with either of them. You could just call your doctor's office and explain what's going on and ask if they think it's something that should be checked out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• He is seven now, but I don't remember him ever doing that. Now he does occasionally get erect in the morning, but has not said anything about it bothering him or it happening throughout the day. He will only use the bathroom maybe 4 times a day while at home on a school day. At school, I am not sure, but the teacher has never said anything about requesting excessive passes or anything. When he is sick is the only time he ever goes more than normal, but that is because I push fluids like crazy.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My best friends son went through this with her son when he was about 7 or 8. It was literally every 15 minutes. She took him to the doctor and they didn't find anything physically wrong with him, but the pediatrician suggested that they may need to "re-train" his bladder. Also he only did this at home, not at school. He eventually grew out of this little phase, but he has always had what she calls "bathroom issues".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Maybe he just has an erection and his way of getting rid of it is peeing? Yeah he might be kind of young and I'm not saying your son is a horn dog. But it happens.
    Anonymous