What's your experience on nursing in public?

Today I had to go to Walmart to pick up a few things. Wyatt was asleep when we left but he woke up and wanted to nurse while there. So I covered up with a blanket and nursed while walking around in the store. I wasn't even showing a hint of a swell of breast. Totally covered so only thing you could see is a lump in my arms with feet sticking out.

I had a few women smile at me and nod their head. Then my back and incision site was starting to hurt so I told Dh I was going to the front of the store to sit down and wait for him. I stepped away from Dh and then this guy comes up to me and asks "where's the baby, I want to see." Now I'm thinking wtf is this guy wanting to see my baby. Doesn't dawn on me till later that that's not really his goal. lol. But DH overheard and stepped closer to me. The guy saw Dh and I said "He's nursing right now". And he plays it off as if he didn't know that's what I was doing and started to walk away real fast. lol. He said "Some people might be offended about that." And I told him I couldn't care less what other people think.

Overall people either ignored me or smiled at me. It would figure on our first day out in public nursing I'd find a pervert though. Needless to say hubby was not pleased. I'm glad he was there to run the guy off though. Anyone else had to deal with perverts or hostility over nursing?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:18 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• While I never nursed in public (I was a formula feeding mom) I do fully support a mom's right to nurse in public. If your baby is hungry, feed them!! If people don't like seeing a baby be bf they should look the other way! So good for you feeding your baby. If I had seen you I would have smiled and maybe made a supportive comment. I think it is great that your dh was there to run interference with the jerk.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• He was just being protective of you two. I'm sure he doesn't want some random perve to see his wife's goodies. I say fuck em'. It's your right to nurse in public. I don't have a problem as long as you aren't whipping the twins out for all to see. Sounds like you were doing it discreetly. Some guys will try anything for a look at em' lol.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:25 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i use to nurse where ever i went.. women would smile and sometimes ask about the baby.. there was one time i went to burger king and some idiot asked me if my kids were twins and if i was breast feeding.. i said no and yes and then ignored him.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I always nursed whenever and wherever I needed to, and never got a negative comment, or dirty look, most people didn't even notice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:04 PM on May. 27, 2011