Need to help my sister :(

So she's dating a guy who's Indian and his parents are very strict on dating only within your culture, and they don't even really like dating. So they obviously don't know about my sis. My parents see him all the time and love him as much as my sister does. His parents are still doing the arranged marriage stuff, so if and when he tells his parents about her, his relationship with them his over. They've been dating just over two years, and pretty serious in moving forward. Has anyone ever dealt with this, or been a parent who's had to accept this because their child married or dated someone in a situation like this? Any advice on how the news can be broken to his parents....I know many of you will think she should let him go if he can't tell them, I said the same thing at first too, but just trying to come up with alternatives....thanks ladies :)

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 5:42 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I worked with a guy that went through a similar situation, except that he's gay and dating someone outside of his culture. When he refused the arranged marriage and broke the news, his family backed away for a while, but eventually came around. They still don't openly acknowledge that he's gay, but have a nice relationship with his partner/"best friend".
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• All I can think of is that movie Bend It Like Beckham. Same idea as your sister, but it was the girl that's Indian and dating a goya (I think was the term they used).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• She needs to leave if he hasnt told his parents by now beilive he won't because he can be disowned.They proably have differnt religous belifs and thats a problem if they want kids because what faith will they be rasied in?She see them he needs to stop wasting her time i had a freind and he dated her for years but his parents were the same way they had a kid togeathr she is chirstan and he is muslism and the kids have to be rasied musilm and his parents still don't know she even exists or their kid when family visit alone.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 3:37 AM on May. 28, 2011