Have You Experienced Birth Abuse?

Warning:  Potential Trigger

http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespace.com/navelgazing-midwife-blog/2011/4/13/birth-abuse.html

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 6:42 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Thankfully no I have not.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 6:51 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i never have but it hits home. i was 20 when i had my twins. everytime i was in triage for preterm labor and i was in a lot of pain the nurses and doctors treated me like shit. my mom even saw how bad they treated me. (she always came with me because i was single) i felt dehumanized by the nurses in that hospital. many family and friends urged me to make formal complaints but what with my boys coming early for a few months after their birth i was just so busy i never did. i wish i had though.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• ElseSalsaaa, I'm sorry you experienced that! That actually does qualify as birth abuse =(
    dedicatedrider

Comment by dedicatedrider (original poster) at 6:59 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I'm not going to watch the video, but when I was induced I got to that point where I said... OK.. it's time for my Epidural. My wish was VERY well documented in my chart... then nurse turned into a raving bitch at that point!! So nasty I could not believe she was a professional. She was stalling too - trying to put off making the call so it would be too late I think. I finally literally got in her face in between contractions and told her if I didn't hear her make the call right away I was going to call the chief of anesthesiology at home myself since he is one of my best and oldest friends. And then I told her she could leave my room and kindly not return!! Funny... they were in there 5 minutes later. If you don't like your job, and can't do it ethically.... retire!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:05 PM on May. 27, 2011

• WOW! I couldn't read anymore. That is really inhuman treatment. I haven't ever witnessed any of that or have I been treated like that, I don't think but if I did, not to that extent or remember. If there was, it was something I could not see. After reading some of the most brutal,all I can do is feel sad and humiliated for these women who have been treated in any of these manners especially during childbirth. It's disturbing and appalling.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 7:15 PM on May. 27, 2011

• oh geeee. I had three kids and never felt that there was "birth rape'. I wore the hospital gown, I had an IV--thank goodness --and all the rest . None of those things are bad.. BIRTH RAPE? Sorry but that is just nuts. whoever dreamed that up needs a psychiatrst!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:25 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't know if what I experienced was "birth abuse" but I was definately intimidated and scared into abandoning my plans. With my second child I was told that I failed the AFP test and he would likely have a chromosomal problem. I mentioned to them many, many times that I though they had my dates off and therefore did the test too early which would have impacted the results and they refused to hear me or change the due date. I was pressured to have an amnio (which I successfully refused). I was also scared into having numerous ultrasounds (9 in total). Every single time I was told that my child would be born with a chromosomal problem and that he had IUGR. My intent was to have a VBAC but I was scared into believing that my pregnancy could not go beyond 40 wks. When I went into labor 1 day before my c-section they still refused to do the VBAC because I wasn't dialated. Interestingly enough, the perinatologist (cont)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:45 PM on May. 27, 2011

• responsible for the majority of this actually wrote me a letter of apology several months after my son was born (perfectly fine) and enclosed was a refund check for every co-pay.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:46 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wow Syphon, that's amazing you got a letter and a check! Doesn't really make up for it, but I'm sure it helped.

As to the OP yes, but I don't want to get in to it :(
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I myself experience birth abuse, namely with my middle son, things happened repetitively through labor and birth experience with him. My youngest there were 2-3 incidents that I would also consider birth abuse.
    dedicatedrider

Comment by dedicatedrider (original poster) at 8:23 PM on May. 27, 2011