How does your grade point average per class affect your overall gpa

I have a 3.2 right now, and by the end of the quarter I expect to have about a 4.0, 3.4 andd hopefully at least a 3.0 in math (i have an 86% right now)
how can i estimate my overall gpa at the end of the quarter?
what would i need in each class to bump it up to 3.5 over all, or is that even possible at this point.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:45 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Multiply weighted course grade by hours of the class. Sum total of all classes, and divide by total number of hours.

EX) if your overall is 3.2 and you get those grades for three-hour classes, and you'll be at 102 hours at the end of the semester (9 hours this sem., 93 before) you would have a 3.2 at the end of the semester (3.22).

To pull up your GPA, it takes more hours at higher grades the more accumulated hours you have. If you cannot pull up by even getting all 4.0s on the rest of your semesters, consider RETAKING a class you did particularly poorly on. Switching a 2 from an earlier class to a 4 can be a big bump to your GPA. My cousin really rehabed his GPA this way.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I got a 2.9 my first semester in college... it took me till graduation and 4 semesters on the deans list (including one 4.0 semester) to bring it to a 3.5 at graduation
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:50 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Courses are weighted differently. If you take regular level courses your gpa will not go up....honors and ap courses are weighted higher which will up your overall gpa quicker? I think.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• are these college classes? it also depends on the number of credit hours they are.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:57 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Courses are not weighted differently in college. That is how it is done in high school. But the numbers of credit hours do have a bearing on the total. Here is a GPA calculator to help you out on your journey. http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

You are going to take the GPA from this quarter/semster and average it with your GPA for previous quarters/semester to get your probable GPA. Good luck.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I had a 3.5 GPA until this semester when I got 2 B's and a C. That C killed by GPA and dropped it to a 3.15. One F on your record takes YEARS to get your GPA up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

• gpa=total grade points/total attempted units

for my school:
    A=4
    A-=3.7
    B+=3.3
    B=3
    B-=2.7
    C+=2.3
    C=2
    C-=1.7
    D+=1.3
    D=1
    D-=.7
    which applies to only 1 unit. soo...if you took a 3 unit course and got and A, you would have 12 grade points
    then divide the total for the semester by how many units you've taken :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:25 PM on May. 27, 2011