Flat head syndrome

My son is 11 weeks old and his head is perfectly round. I have began to worry that it will get flat because he loves to be in his swing. At what age can I quit worrying about his head getting flat?

malleymom106

Asked by malleymom106 at 7:02 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you give him tummy time, there won't be a flat head issue. He may cry at first because it's something new, but he will get used to it. Gives him a different look of things too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:05 PM on May. 27, 2011

• like tyfry said if you give him tummy time there is nothing to worry about :). My son loved his swing too but also got plenty of tummy time so he has a nice "basketball" head, as his grandma calls it lol!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 7:21 PM on May. 27, 2011

• At 11 weeks old I wouldn't worry too much just yet. The real concern is if they're around 6+ months old and spend all, or almost all, of their time in a carseat or something similar. Both of my kids HATED tummy time. If I was lucky I could get 5 minutes out of them. They DID get tummy time on top of us, or we'd just sit them in our laps and let them look around.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• when my little guy was still super small, he spent a lot of time on his back because he refused to sleep on his belly, he did develop a small flat spot on the back of his head. when it developed we started putting him on his side to sleep. after he fell asleep i rolled up 2 receiving blankets, put the baby on his side and put the rolled up blankets on both sides of him. but i put the at the armpit level. my friends tell me they make wedges for this. back to point, his doctor said that the more tummy time he gets the flat spot will start to round out. and it seems it has.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 9:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• When my son was around 2 months, his head is a little flat at the back and there's one part has no hair, when ppl saw him the first thing they noticed is "oh he has a little flat head". We are worry we are considering gonig to get those helmet, but thank god we didn't. We bought a pillow shape like donut from amazon around 15 or 16 bucks for him to sleep on when he's on the swing, carset, nap time or anywhere. It works really well, also we put towels on his back at night time and that actually makes him sleep even longer I guess all the tucking he feels snuggle in. There's only so much tummy time you can do, and he can't sit up or his neck is not good enough to put him in those sit up chairs. I suggest you go get that pillow from amazon and use towels on his back, he's so young he can't turn yet so no worries. My son is 6 months now and his head is perfectly round and hairs grew out from that flat spot.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:46 PM on May. 28, 2011

• lay him on his belly once in a while
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 6:51 PM on May. 28, 2011