Induction scheduled Tuesday- can I refuse?

I will be full term on June 4th and have a baby with slightly short limbs for gestational age. I went for a non-stress test today that came back non-reactive with one mild deceleration (less than 15 beats below his base). They ordered a biophysical profile that came back normal. All of a sudden, they want to induce me on Tuesday. I am strongly against induction unless over the due date, and really don't want to have it done! They will be doing another non-stress test and biophysical profile before the induction, if they come back normal can I refuse? Even if they don't come back normal, can I refuse the induction?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 7:45 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't see why not. My doctor kept offering them to me & I kept turning them down. She was not happy when I told her when I wanted to be induced and that was past my due date.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:47 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Absolutely you can refuse! Just say no!
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes, you can refuse any part of or any medical procedure, injection, immunization, medication, etc. that you choose. It's spelled out in the Patient's Bill of Rights. I don't blame you, induction is NOT good for your baby, no matter what they tell you. Even going past your due date. My cousin carried all 4 of her children for 44 weeks without a problem and my daughter carried my grandson for 46 weeks. Babies do not die from being in there too long, they only like to tell you that because inducing you makes for more money. I will keep you in my prayers, as well as your baby!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I think you can refuse.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes you can refuse it but make sure you are doing the best thing for your child. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:01 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Call your insurance rep or primary care to get a second opinion. You have the right of refusal for anything don't let a doctor talk you in to doing something you're uncomfortable with.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes you can absolutely refuse any medical treatment. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I'm sure you can refuse, but I'd be sure nothing is wrong first!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:08 PM on May. 27, 2011

• You can definitely refuse but maybe you should make completely sure of why they want to induce and that nothing is wrong before you say no.

As to "babies can't die from being in there too long" yes they can. It's happened and there are support groups for women whose babies died because they went so far past the due date.
    Anonymous

• Babies almost always only have issues after due dates if the placenta calcifies too much or the fluid is low. Both can be easily detected by ultra sound.

And you can ALWAYS refuse an induction! It is your body, your baby and your decision!!!!

Anonymous