Is there a trick to this shopping cart thing?

my son is 15 days away from being 8 mo old. he is now too heavy for the infant carrier, so we switched to a "big boy carseat" but he doesn't sit up well yet. when we go shopping he starts falling to one side or the other in the child seat of the cart. is there a trick or something i should be doing so he doesn't fall over in the seat? i also have a shopping cart cover and it doesn't keep him up.

babymomma101110

Asked by babymomma101110 at 8:04 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go for a baby carrier like the Ergo. It's amazing and if you look around you can find some good deals on them. I don't know that trying to prop him up would be either effective or safe so I'm no help there. Good luck though!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• if you buckle him in it will keep him upright.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I second the buckling him in. The other thing I'd do is stick my purse on one side and a blanket or my sweatshirt (wadded/folded up) on the other.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:11 PM on May. 27, 2011

• if he cant hold himself up yet then y take him out of other carseat? i wouldnt think he would be stable enough for that step yet....
    hnaused2010

Answer by hnaused2010 at 8:11 PM on May. 27, 2011

• he is out of the infant carrier because he has passed the weight limit or it. he is 15 days from 8 mo and weighs 23 pounds
    babymomma101110

Comment by babymomma101110 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I tried many things- my kids got out of the infant seat by 6 months, and couldn't sit all day

Purse next to them & strapped in was a big one
    Baby front-carrier happened quite a few times, too
    A few times, a bumbo seat in the bottom of the cart. They could handle that a long time, for longer trips. Also worked in restaurants, in booths, when they weren't ready for the high chairs
    In an emergency, I have shopped while holding the baby's hands. It kept her upright for quite a while. I'd only let go to get a couple things. That involved no other objects, which was a huge plus sometimes

It only lasts a month or 2, but it IS a pain. Good luck!

Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:33 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Buckle him in and don't worry too much about him leaning. His muscles will strengthen soon, and you'll never have this concern again.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't think carriers are safe on top of shopping carts, but you can put him in the basket area. You CAN use the carrier, just not in the car. He can sit in it around the house or wherever. Some carts have infant seats built into the top. A sling is a good alternative too. Or, if you are not alone, put him in a stroller and have whoever you're with push the cart. If you're not doing a BIG shopping, you can use the stroller and put the stuff in the bottom basket while you shop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:24 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I agree with the blanket idea...roll one up and put it on his side to hold him up.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 6:50 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I had this same problem, my son is must now getting better at sitting up. But for about a month he wasn't strong enough. I do put him in the cart, he doesn't enjoy being in a carrier enough to make it through a whole shopping trip. At first what I did was put a blanket on each side of him so when he did tip over he wouldn't get hurt. He would still kind of tip ( buckled up) but that is how he is learning to sit. Good luck!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 9:22 PM on May. 28, 2011