Losing baby teeth

when do kids start losing their baby teeth? a family member of mine mentioned something to my daughter like "oh wait til you lose your teeth! you'll look like a jack o lantern!" well, my daughter was HORRIFIED! shes 5years old. i guess i just dont know how to explain this to her without scaring her...help?

happymom8262

Asked by happymom8262 at 8:26 PM on May. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her the baby teeth fall out to make room for the grown-up teeth - the new ones coming in push the old ones out. She won't look like a jack-o-lantern - the new ones will grow back quicker than she thinks. Then tell the relative to stuff it. If it's not against your standards, tell her about the tooth fairy too, that she'll get money or a prize under her pillow. Just the nice things about it ;).
    Anonymous

• Oh - as for when, any time. The later they fall out, the healthier the adult teeth will be supposedly. My oldest started losing hers at 4, the other 2 at 5.
    Anonymous