Good food/drink/habits to decrease bloating/puffiness?

Hi ladies! Ok so long story short, the last few months, I have NOT paid good attention to what I've been eating, and exercise has been rare. This isn't the norm for me - I'm usually a gym rat and eat fairly well. But the last few months have been stressful and weird, so I kind of let it take a toll on my health.

Now I feel sooooo sluggish and bloated. I haven't really put on weight if you look at the numbers, but I've definitely had muscle turn to flab, and I just feel PUFFY! Yuck! I'm planning out my shopping trip for fresh whole foods to get back in the healthy eating habit, but I'm also looking for any suggestions you guys might have to help me flush the bloating out of my system?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 8:27 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• green veggies. Helps with your digestion to get rid of the backed up poop. Lots of water and food rich in fiber (hence the greens)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Also lime or lemon water. It is a natural at helping get rid of excess fluids.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:31 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It's amazing how much poor diet choices even for a short time can make you feel like crap! Time to get rid of the processed foods. You CAN eat healthy, even with a small budget and little time. Stir fries are always great, and you don't need much soy sauce to make them tasty. Drink plenty of water (in fact, nothing BUT water). Processed foods really should be gone from your diet (at least for the most part). They're all made with sodium, even if they don't taste salty, and sodium is what makes you bloated. Getting fresh fruits and veggies will help your body get rid of the sodium and the toxins building up. Getting at least 8 cups of water in a day will make a huge difference in your water balance, too, as low water intake leads to water retention. So make sure you drink plenty!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:22 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I love my Lemon water! it's great for when you're feeling bloated! I like to freeze a few lemon slices & use a little fresh mint too. Yummy!!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 2:17 AM on May. 29, 2011

• these answers are great ,,, I get this way too , never heard of the lemon water going to try
    barrerajuls

Answer by barrerajuls at 2:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'll chime in with lemon/lime/orange slices. Anything citrus. GRAPEFRUIT will speed up metablism, reduces ecllulite etc. Dry skin brush DAILY to increase circulation (and move lymph). This does not mean brush in the shower - that stretches skin. Give yourself daily massage with coconut oil upon waking to flush system and amp circulation. Drink lots of water. Drop any soda habits, including diet. I personally do hot yoga for detox benefits, for core strength and muscle tone, balance, flexibility. Not to mention the oxygen kick from pranayama breathing and the calming benefits of Savasana. Soon you'll lose that PUFFY SLUGGY feeling.

DrMomessentials

Answer by DrMomessentials at 2:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Thank you ladies, you've been a BIG help!! I'm having a hard time choosing a best answer because they're all great - maybe I'll leave the question open for a while longer anyway. :) Thanks again!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 5:54 PM on May. 29, 2011