Grades

Did you start having trouble with your teens with grades as they got older or was it just problematic from the start?

malexander2009

Asked by malexander2009 at 9:35 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Mostly when they got older....school became the bottom of the priority list. My stepson always puts homework off until the last second and it affects his grades terribly. We check his grades on a regular basis and if we aren't satisfied, he does not go anywhere after school. We also check in with teachers from time to time to see how he is behaving in class and if there is anything we can do to help him succeed.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 9:48 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My son struggled with school most of his school career. He had to work twice as hard as the others to keep up. It took a long time to find out he was dyslexic.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My teen is just lazy. She gets the work done, but "forgets" to turn it in.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:11 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I've never had a problem with my older son, his grades have always remained consistent.
    My younger son has always struggled.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:23 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think as teens get older they get more lazy when it comes to school
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 7:58 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Freshman year was hard adjustment, my DD went from straight A's to D's. Thought it was the school work, but she was being bullied unbelievably so she is home schooled now, has a 3.58 GPA and is doing excellent!
    dys-shattered

Answer by dys-shattered at 8:39 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Definitely as he got older - in came an after school program he had to attend where they would help with his homework, and away went the xbox, after school activities, sports, cell phone, dances, etc. It took a little while for him to understand that he was in charge of getting these items back - he just had to crack down on the books, ask if he needed help, and get off his lazy bum to get it done. DH and I at first talked until we were blue in the face until I told hubby, "look he knows what he needs to do - I'm done talking - if he wants to be 16 and in day care, then so be it and I don't care if he never gets to experience all the fun things about middle/high school or get his xbox back, etc etc" We'll see what his grades are like and maybe, MAYBE - he won't have to be in daycare until he goes off to college (provided of course he can get into one) - LOL!!!!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 10:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No i started having problems with my son's grades when he started High School and it was a nightmare but now that he is a senior he finally figured out you need a education to get anywhere in this world so now he is buckleing down and getting it done but mostly all teens go through peer pressure one way or another.
    I worried he wouldn't graduate but he is taking a summer class to get his credits and will be ontime when school starts in the fall....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011