Ok, my 18 mo old son threw a penny in the air, while I was changing his diaper, and it landed in his throat.

(Didn't realize he had a penny until I saw it in the air dropping perfectly into his mouth) He started choking and I immediately turned him upside down and tried to get it out. He stopped choking after a few seconds but I assume he swallowed it, I never found it or seen it come out. He's been normal, hasn't been breathing irregular, and has been eating normally. Should I take him to his doctor? How long should I expect the penny to pass?

ashleyK4

Asked by ashleyK4 at 9:45 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you really can't find it anywhere, then yes, I would definitely take him to the doctor! He's so small that even something as little as a penny could cause an intestinal blockage or something of that nature.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:46 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wow - what an arm and aim - at the very least just call the Dr to check and then sign him up for baseball..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:46 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Hmmm, I would assume he will poop it out or something. Although, you may want to call your doc because I would think that copper in a tummy might be a concern. I dont know though! Good luck :)! Hope baby is okay!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:47 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh my, what a shot! Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. Anyway, it might take a couple of days, but you will eventually find it in his diaper. Just watch his breathing and make sure you don't hear any rasping. He could still have a partial airway obstruction. If he's eating and drinking fine and breathing fine, just watch his diaper.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:48 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wow, my answer sounded completely neurotic. Haha! Didn't mean to come across that way. Is there a nurses' advice line you could call? I might do that just for peace of mind.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My 4 year old just swallowed a penny and they had us take her to the ER for x-rays. We never found the penny (you know...later...) but they said unless she developed stomach problems she should be fine. Now my cousins kid swallowed a quarter but it got stuck in her intestines and they have had to keep going back for x-rays to monitor the problem.

So my advice would be to not freak out, but head to the doc anyway, just to be safe. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• not trying to scare you. my mothers one dog ate a penny once, i dropped it and he went right in and scooped it up. mom and i didn't think anything of it, figured it would come back eventually. we got up the next morning to find a horrible site on the kitchen floor. the poor dog had vomited all over the place before passing away. we had called the vet to ask questions, the vet had told us swallowing a penny for anyone is a direct dose of copper to the stomach. and is harmful to human and animals. i would def get a doctor to see him. good luck.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 9:58 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It could pass in the poop,if it does not within 24-48 hours,I would call the doctor. Oh! Call anyway to put your mind at ease!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:33 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I think it could give him metal poisoning, it is copper. Call the doctor, oh man.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:29 PM on May. 28, 2011