Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

My son is losing his medicaid, i have no clue what to do.

Before I go into this situation I just wanted to ask for some sympathy here, I don't like that I had to sign up for assistance but its a long, and very complicated story. I work, my DH worked two jobs, and we really are trying to get to a point where we won't need assistance. So please no anti assistance receiver comments...

Okay now, my DS is 9 mo almost 10 and once he turns 12 mo Medicaid will cut out unless I reapply. The problem is if I reapply for it I'm guaranteed to be denied. Between my working full time, DH working full time, and part time at two jobs they will deny us for making too much money. Our problem is that were still paying off my medical bills from when I was pregnant without insurance, and after cheap groceries, diapers, wipes, formula, and baby stuff we barely afford gas to get to our jobs. DHs jobs don't offer insurance, my boss will not give me benefits dispute working full time hours. I called for quotes on individual health insurance thinking if I get a second job we could put all the extra income to get him insurance. The best quote given was $487 monthly premium, with a $5000 deductible! My dad said just quit my job and then they won't deny him for the reapplication but if I did that then we wouldnt be able to get by. I'm at a catch 22 and next week I will be meeting with a recruiter for the military because I can't afford college and I work in a dead end retail position and I can't figure out anything else to do. Even with a second job with the cost of daycare I won't be able to afford almost $500 a month plus a $5000 deductible...

I live in va.
Anyone have suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • hugsim sorry

    Are there any health issues that can't wait until you enlist? Military has insurance... IDK what to say or what you can do, and why isn't work providing! Shame if they are skirting basic needs to employees


    Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • do they have state insurance besides medicaid. its for anyone no matter what your income is and its just for children. in pa. its called C.H.I.P.. there has to be another way. be presistent. and i would reapply. you never know. hang in there and ask about the state insurance. take care. good luck. and no need to appolizge about being on assistance its there when times are tough.

    Answer by lambdarose at 10:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • fingers crossed Hoping someone here can give great advice! BUMP YA AT LEAST... what state, some on here are awesome at looking up resources!!! ~*Hugs*~


    Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I have heard of people getting legally seperated to make the income fit the guidelines to get support. It was on the news, I don't know anything else about it.

    Answer by dancinintherain at 10:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Check in to state insurance for kids. here in Florida it's called Kid Care and the premium is like $15 a month or something like that. The income limits are MUCH higher. Also, try reapplying anyway. The worst they can do is say no, right? Good luck!

    Answer by Xynyth at 10:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Each state has a children's insurance plan. Most states are free to about $30 a month. The co-pays and deductibles are free to very low cost. If your children do not qualify for medicaid, they qualify for this. It depends on what state you are in as to what they call it.

    Answer by attap5 at 10:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • I was going to say to check into state offered children's health insurance plans, but others have already said it. But, it is worth looking into..

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Call your worker and ask about it - I know in Iowa there's Hawk-I (Healthy And Well Kids in Iowa) - it's like Medicaid, you have to apply and qualify, but the limits are higher, and you do have to pay for it but it's based on your income - I know some people who pay $3 for the coverage, $2 doctor co-pays, and $1 prescription copays. Find out if your state has something like that. Also, it doens't hurt to reapply - some things are counted in your favor rather than as your income (mortgage payment, etc). Just reapply, call, something - there has to be something for you/him. GL - I know how hard it is!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • Yeah, check up on the state's "reduced" cost insurance. I am sure they have it. In Florida, it's called Healthy Kids. Any DCF or CPS (whatever your state calls it) center will know how to file. It's hella cheap, easy to qualify for and maintain. It's worth it. Good luck!

    Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 10:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

  • A resident of Virginia
    Uninsured and not eligible for Medical Assistance?
    Google FAMIS.

    Answer by MMXI at 10:24 PM on May. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.