I am a bad mother because I put my kids in timeout!

My daughters father said I am a bad mother because I put my kids in time out and doing that makes them look and feel stupid. Well... that's what happen when you get disciplined but its also a tactic for them to get you to feel sorry for them.

I wish I can put him in timeout and give him a good spanking lol something I don't even have to do my kids!

Discipline methods for your kids?

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 10:01 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow... what a prize he must be to deal with.. let me ask you ,... what is HIS Method??
    time outs work for us
    Toys taken works for us
    Time in his room to "think" about it, works for us
    Rewards jars work for us -
    But...every child is different and ALL Areas and methods need to be explored,his words telling you that you are a bad mother are just to get to the core of your heart which means only 1 thing,.., He too is a child and doesn't know any better.. write off what he said and KNOW In your heart you are doing the best for your kids by teaching them rules and discipline and structure.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

• You ARE a bad mother! For teaching your kids that for bad behaviour, there is a consequence.

I'm right there with you. He will learn one day that it will bite him in the butt if he doesn't discipline them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I have been doing time out since DD was 12 months. She responds very well to it. We don't face the wall, but use the corner. If it works for you, I would continue.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 10:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughter

First of all unless you are in public, and shaming them by others reactions... he is just trying to make you feel like he states they are by twisting the situation!!! We believe in taking away things like their videogames, time outs, and we give chores to eldest when he decides to act like he shouldn't

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• No he is tripping if thats what he thinks. Be better get it together or your kids will walk all over him bc they know daddy won't discipline.
    I do spank when needed and take toys games away
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I most defiantly would not say you are a bad mother! :) Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. BUT... I am a student in child development, and work in a pre school, and he does have a point. Just putting children in time-out does embarrass them and make them feel bad. The best method is to tell them to go to a quiet place, where the two of you can talk about the behavior, why it happened and what they can do instead next time. But, that does not make you a bad mom. Im sorry that happened.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

• oh for petes sake..there is nothing wrong with that! lol..kids have to learn!
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 10:09 PM on May. 27, 2011

• What an idiot! Well, nothing really works for us. It is quite hard to discipline an autistic child.
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 10:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yea, he is truly a child. And his form of and punishment is a little tap on the hand, then a kiss and hug. He going to have to deal with it when she starts running all over him. She knows her boundaries with me so he is going to get the kick in the butt very well. I'm going to laugh all the way home lol.
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree that timeouts make kids look and feel stupid - it is humiliating and will only serve to undermine their self-esteem. To me, it is better to connect with your kids, see things from their perspective, and get them to see your side of the situation. If they are intelligent kids, there is no reason to anger and shame them. That just makes them defiant and rebellious. But I would never say you are a bad mother. Maybe you could re-examine your techniques and maybe review them, but we all just kinda muddle along and do the best we can with the patience, knowledge, skills and predispositions we have. For him to say that to you, he is definitely belittling you and behaving in a way that undermines you in the most hurtful way he can. So he is totally wrong for doing that to you.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:14 PM on May. 27, 2011