Seriously.. did that really work???

Ok so my son, to say it lightly, FRIGGIN HATES TO SLEEP.. He's only 3-1/2 but will stay up as long as he can and fight the sleep like no adult should be able to do at this age.
As part of our normal routine, we got our Pj's on, watched his 20 minute show, brushed his teeth and I read him 2 books.. then I snuck in there, OK, IF you go to bed like a great big boy, Mommy will bring you to Kung Fu Panda tomorrow with alix ( his cousin) - and it WORKED tonight.. seriously I didn't have to go in there one time.. WOOHOO!!!! Now let me tell you I HAVE tried bribing before, yes, I've stooped. Rewards, treats, stern voices, threatening, taking away toys.. this is an endless battle since birth with my angel but whoa.. tonight it worked.. all those late nights and no naps really MUST take its toll eventually.. what is the hardest thing for you and your child to battle?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:11 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I get upset too, we are both mothers. I am not any better than any other mother and I don't feel that I deserve any more respect then any other mother. We all have our struggles with our children, mine just has a name. We all do what we have to do. I guess I am just tired tonight. We have had a rough couple of weeks and right now autism seems to be very much on the fore front of my mind as the 'symptoms' are more prevelant than that they usually are. We will get through it. We always do when we have these 'spells'. You deserve just as much credit for learning what your son needs to go to bed as any other mother with any other issue.

By the way--don't look at it as 'bribery'. Look at is as a 'positive incentive'. And if it works--more power to you!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:00 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Really??? I get voted down for saying the hardest thing for my child and I battle is autism?? I'm sorry for being honest, but autism IS a battle for both of us. He works very hard to overcome his disorder and to be as 'normal' as some of his friends. He is very aware of his issues and tries very hard. I am proud of him for it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:27 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I didn't want to 'freak' anybody. Autism is my daily war. The battles of it changes day by day. You asked about my battle. I'm sorry someone else, and apparently you, felt that I was being an ass when all I was doing was being honest about my personal struggle. I am not 'freaked' out by my son's disorder as to me it's been a normal part of my life for 12 years, but thank you for reminding me that other's get 'freaked' out by it. I guess when it's something you deal with for over a decade it doesn't bother you as much as it does other people. I wasn't looking for pity or to belittle your issues, just sharing my own struggles with a fellow mother.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:39 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Autism

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• That is awesome. :D My little boy is 7 and he gets like that at times, but thankfully not every night. Hope your scheming works every night!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:17 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I didn't vote you down but what a BROAD statement for a general question... don't you think? My son has been evaluated by ECI and I will continue to monitor him but he is NOT autistic or aspergers.. he has severe genetic anxiety and see's things.. we ARE dealing with that but its a broad statement on your part to feel bad about getting voted down about when you want to "freaK" another parent out just by suggesting that with no other words.. thanks
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Same as u girl, my sweet boy does not like to sleep, lol!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:42 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh crap.. this is totally my fault.. I forgot to make this post an actual question, I actually asked a question.. I'm so sorry layh41407.. you're right.. This must be a very big battle and I didn't mean to offend you with the "freaked out" statement. My family used to demand us to test my son and KNEW it had to be "something" or "autism" and acted as if it was worse case scenerio.. which I know it isn't but I know from what I've read and come across, its not roses and sunshine either.. which is why I think the MOST and have the upmost respect for any mother of austic children or any mother who has to deal with any type of sitiation which can be "outside the normal" whatever that is.. I am truly deeply sorry... I am NOT freaked out but I am in envy for how much mothers like you must be able to handle when I find myself flying off the handle or upset.. *hugs and apologies three fold*
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on May. 27, 2011