How do i get 7 1/2mo old baby to sleep by himself?

i used to sleep my little guy in bed with me when i was breast feeding, then i started sleeping him in a bassinet beside my bed, i put the crib up when he got too long for the bassinet. i even rearranged the bed room so the crib is near my bed. for a while my little guy slept very well in his crib. my bf works nights (i work daylight)b so if the baby napped while he was watching him they would sleep in the bed instead of putting him in the crib. if the little guy sleeps in my bed he'll sleep all night, but if i put him in the crib he gets up every 2-3 hrs. i'm afraid of him rolling out of my bed in the middle of the night. what do i do?

babymomma101110

Asked by babymomma101110 at 10:30 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 14 months and has slept in his crib maybe a dozen times. He sleeps with my husband and I. I just can't break the habit. The other night, I tried letting him cry himself to sleep and when I went to check on him, he had thrown up all over and fell asleep in it. I was crushed. If you don't my him sleeping in bed with you, push your bed up against the wall and let him sleep between you and the wall. My son is old enough now that he sleeps between us. If you do that, make sure you keep pillows and blankets away from his face...don't want to risk SIDS.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 10:33 PM on May. 27, 2011

• you might try one of those heartbeat bears...and always put the baby down in the crib,tell boyfriend to do this too....my daughter has always slept in her own bed.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Ur little guy is just used to feeling mummy's warmth near him, you've got him used to sleeping with u! Now u might have to have a couple of crying nights does he have a pacifier, or favorite animal u can let him fall asleep with?! What u should do is bite the bullet and put him Un his crib, if he cries do not go in and pick him up, just go in there rub his back or tummy and reassure him that ur there for him, maybe give him his paci, but it will probably be a struggle few a week or so! Stick to ur guns though, I gaurantee a change!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:36 PM on May. 27, 2011

• unfortunately he stopped using the pacifier, we called it binna, at about 2-3 months. he just won't take it.
    babymomma101110

Comment by babymomma101110 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My little guy sleeps by himself because we put him in his crib at 3 weeks old. He has been inhis own room since then. We got him on a great night time routine. (baths happen every 3 day at lunchtime unless he gets too dirty) We play on the floor for a while go for a walk. sit on the porch. snuggle up and read or sing songs. I keep my baby up from 6pm to 11pm. We just keep him awake as long as possible. Then he will fall asleep from 11pm to 6:30am or 7am. So days are harder than other to keep his up but its worth it that night. (he is also teething). He doesnt take a pacifier but he does have his sleeping buddy.
    mkdonovan

Answer by mkdonovan at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I saw something on tv when dd was a baby, tried it and it worked: I would put her down for 5 minutes (even if they cry) and walk away. After 5 minutes I would pick her up for a few minutes to calm her down then put her back in the crib but this time leave her there for 10 minutes. You basically add 5 minutes everytime you leave them alone. Eventually they will fall alseep. It worked for me so I always suggest trying it. Good Luck!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 6:44 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Ah the golden question! If a mom says she hasn't had sleep troubles with a baby...she's lying!! :) justme782 has a great plan! Also...if the crying and leaving stresses you out, you could try and pat your baby to sleep in the crib but DO NOT pick them up. They will cry but I had issues leaving my ds while he was crying. Pretty soon, you wean down from patting so much until all you need to do is place them in the crib and they go to sleep. Worked with my DS and he's 12mos. old and sleeping fine in another room through the night :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 7:53 AM on May. 29, 2011