Are you now or are you considering becoming a "survivalist"?

I'm just curious, so I thought I'd ask. With the economy the way it's been & everything getting to be soooo expensive, are you stockpiling anything for when the poop hits the fan? I don't mean the nut job that hides in the basement with MREs & a gun, but just getting extra stuff that you use frequently and storing it in bulk to make sure you will have it available to you when you need it, as well as things like canned foods, tp, snacks, candles & other emergency supplies, etc.

Answer anonymously if you want to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Frankly I can't afford to feed us during the week on a normal basis let alone stock up. I guess if it came down to it we would have to starve. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• We stock up when we can. I like having the stuff on hand. We also got chickens for eggs and meat, and we have a big garden for veggies and some fruits. It NEVER hurts to be able to rely on yourself just a little more :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:57 AM on May. 28, 2011

• There is a vast chasm between being a survivalist and prepping. What you are asking about is prepping ~ and it's something we've done for years. The idea wasn't initially so much to be prepared for anything, it was to cut our expenses and to be self-sufficient. The end result is that we are both. We are well prepared for weather disasters, human created disasters, and because we ourselves grow/raise our own food, built our own home, and because of our hobbies (forging, woodworking, etc.) we are also mostly self-sufficient. It's a little more work than the average homeowner does, but it's the ONLY work we do (no paycheck/no owing a boss our lives/time). And yes ... it was darn scary giving up that paycheck initially. We all grow up and are conditioned to earning one. Discovering that we didn't NEED one seriously rocked :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:41 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I am slowly working on a stock pile
    eustacejessica

Answer by eustacejessica at 5:57 PM on May. 28, 2011

• No. It's never a bad idea to have a small stock pile of things though.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:33 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I haven't been storing up but I am planning next spring to plant a big garden and am getting a few chickens for eggs to help with rising costs.
    IamErin-K.

Answer by IamErin-K. at 10:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• We have a few items stocked up on in our storeroom. We always do just in case of a storm or something.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 11:26 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I don't have a stockpile but I do have emergency supplies. Where I live gets tons of tornado warnings every spring and I could easily be without power for a while so I do have enough supplies to make it a week or so. I could manage longer in the event of a more major event.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 2:39 AM on May. 29, 2011

• WHEN I CAN I DO
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 10:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i always buy extra when i can
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:03 PM on May. 31, 2011