Do you put your kids in timeout when they are crabby just because theyre tired??

for example my son is soo tired, i assume because he took an early nap. hes pretty crabby and he was sitting with my mom and he slapped her in the chest (he's 20 months, hitting is our new thing right now ha) well so i took him to time out because thats how we handle hitting. and i knooow he only did it because he's just so tired, but hitting is still against the rules.

so how about you guys, do you let things slide when kids are tired or sick or are rules, rules no matter what?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:48 PM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just because he's tired should not be an excuse to misbehave! Rules r rules regardless! If u don't stick to ur rules and u have exceptions to ur rules, than their really not rules!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:58 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Consistency is very important. Being tired is no excuse for bad behavior. A lot of times when DD was a toddler if she misbehaved it was because she was tired. I'd tell her time out (on the couch) and she'd end up napping there. If I tried to get her to nap earlier she'd fight it. So that was the only way to get her to nap.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:02 PM on May. 27, 2011

• yep, rules are rules. If he were to continue, he would be off to bed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 PM on May. 27, 2011

• haha my guy definitely needs bed! he's doin better now, we visited the front pourch with brother and grandma for some fresh air and he cuddled grandpa for a bit so he's feelin a bit better but I can still see he's super tired. I'm hoping for an early bed time tonight haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:51 PM on May. 27, 2011

• how long do u put a 20 month old in time out for??.....at that age i would have grab his hand told him u do not hit put him on the floor and walked away..
    Anonymous

• I put him in time out for a minute. we've been doing timeout since about 16 months and it works very well for us.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• yes I do. rules are not only when they feel up to following them and if they are tired they should go night night or follow the rules!
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 10:58 PM on May. 27, 2011

• yeah, i do time outs and half a does of ibprophen...it helps my ds calm down when he starts his fits up that just keep getting worse no matter what we try, it also makes him a little sleepy, so if its a nap he needs, he'll end up taking one lol ds is 3.5 and is currently on a nap strike.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:55 PM on May. 27, 2011

• rules are rules, tiered or not.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:11 AM on May. 28, 2011

• At that age I would have just put him to bed and let him fuss it out. After 2 we do timeouts but if they have no effect it's off to bed they go. That goes for all my kids. I don't care if it's 6pm on a Saturday... if you are throwing fits like a toddler (and you are 10 years old) and are obviously cranky and tired you go to bed. They can either lay there and be quiet until they want to behave like a big kid or they can sleep. It's their choice. They keep acting up they get consequences that last longer than that day (like being grounded the next day).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:14 AM on May. 28, 2011