I'm really feeling the difference money wise now that I'm not working & staying home was actually really depressed today anyone in the same boat??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm a SAHM of 3. 3yo twins(b,g) and a 2yo little girl. I think of it this way: If I didn't stay home with my kids, 1) Someone else would be raising them, and 2) we'd be paying 1200+ in daycare a month! That's CRAZY! I probably wouldn't even make that in a month. My BF is a cop, so it would be impossible to have a job without steady daycare. So I understand where you are coming from because money is tight, but in the end, Be glad that you do get to stay home with your children! Enjoy the time before we look back and wish they were still little again!=) Keep your head up, it'll get better.
    abootie

Answer by abootie at 10:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i love being a SAHM but hubby is laid off right now and the max. amount unemployment will pay is $326.00 a week. his normal bring home salary pay is $700.00 a week so yeah-we're feeling a pinch! luckily, he goes back to work tomorrow so hopefully we can get things in order before X-mas!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think everyone is feeling pinched. My family is. Everything has gone up in price. Hopefully, things will get better soon.
    emptynestmom456

Answer by emptynestmom456 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• oh god yes,,,,,,,it is awful...............we are all in the same boat........my kids are in school!!!! I went back to school and obviously no jobs,,,,,,,atleast yours are home with you to keep you busy right??
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• When I left my full-time job to stay home it was a big change. I was use to shopping when I wanted (within reason) and not worrying about running out of money. I'm taking the time to build my home business so I can make up for the salary I gave up. It's nice to have the freedom.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 9:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• There are lots of moms in your boat. Don't be depressed though, you're still working full time, 24 hrs a day I bet. Don't discount the 'job' you have now.

There are lots of SAHM's here, and lots of ways floating around to make a little extra money to help fill the finacial gap. PM me if you want to know what I do.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Sometimes I do freak out about the money, but here is how I look at it. If I worked full time, we would have to pay a babysitter or daycare and that would take the majority of my paycheck. I'm not willing to be away from my children so that I can bring home $100 a month. If I worked part time and tried to work it out so that I worked when my husband is home (which wouldn't work anyways) then is it really worth $8/hr to not be with my family. So its not worth it to me! I want to be the one to raise my children, I don't want a stranger spending more time with them than me. It is totally worth the sacrifices we have to make to do it. I stopped working when my second was born and we have made a lot of sacrifices for me to be home. We have a budget that we live on and it barely includes extra money for eating out every once in a while and it has been years since I have been to see a movie.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I was in the same boat when I started to stay at home. It feels like you are all alone. I told my husband I hated it. After 2 years of staying home and not liking it, I decided to make a change. I looked for something to do from home. And I found it. I guess I was lucky because I found something that really fit me. Now I love to stay at home. I have a lot of friends and even if I stay at home, I don't feel lonely anymore.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 10:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You could try a home based business, I make more than my previous full-time job paid and have more tax benefits now too.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 10:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree with nanaevelyn. I was just a SAHM and felt like I wasn't helping and hubby was doing two jobs. I started working from hom with the same company my mom was with when I was little (she has been with them 19 yrs now). I got paid more then any job I had before and had more tax benefits. Hubby now quit both those jobs and works from home too. We get to vacation and do things we never thought we would be able to do before. Plus I am home with my kids! We even started homeschooling so that when we wanted to go on a trip it didn't interfer. I work a couple evenings a month and make good residual money too! They products are consumable many people use everyday! If your interested I have a journal on my company on my page.. check it out. It is truely worth a look. GOOD LUCK.. your not a lone!
    KimArbonne

Answer by KimArbonne at 11:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008