For my fellow Hispanic Moms

Video: The New American Reality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQnhuj11zgI

Your thoughts?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 12:11 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If you aren't in a melting pot, why learn English? Why produce a commercial in English? Why play "futbal" and "football?" Why the tamale AND the cheese burger? Why don't you point out that bilingual kids have a harder time in school than English-speaking kids?

I live in NM, so don't get me wrong, I love our mixed culture here. I've lived here my whole life and I've seen first hand what being a Hispanic-American looks like. I have many friends who have shared this experience with me. But if you're the "new America" then why be American at all? The commercial seems to be a contradiction.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:28 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I'm sorry, I just have to add one more thing .... couldn't this video be adapted to people of all different ethnicities? I mean really. If America is comprised of immigrants, then there aren't just Latino-Americans, there are also African-Americans. There are also Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans. Russian-Americans and Asian-Americans .... and Native Americans. All of these groups have done the same things that this video boasts about Latino-Americans. They've kept their own culture uniqueness alive with their integration into the American culture (football, cheese burgers, etc.) So really, there is nothing new about what is being presented. It's not the "New American Reality" - it's just reality in America - the same old, same old - different group of people doing the same thing that everyone else has done.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:43 PM on May. 28, 2011

• So, um are you trying to imply only hispanic people are Bilingual? Just so we are clear I live in C. Texas and I see more Middle Eastern people speaking Arabic than I do Hispanic people on the playground, maybe I am going to the wrong park we have like 30 parks for two towns. My daughter is learning in English and Spanish in her public school and our public school offers weekly classes for parents to learn Spanish. More white people speak Spanish AND English than you might realize.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:48 PM on May. 28, 2011

• cute
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:29 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I loved it and so true, I am from Miami, too!!!!

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I am part of the melting pot and that is what America is about. I am proud to speak both spanish and english. I agree with most of what that video said but I do agree with Eilish.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:08 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Why are you pointing it to me, I didn't make the video. I'm simply just sharing it.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on May. 28, 2011

• And obviously Hispanics aren't the only bilinguals around. And I've met white people, and black people and Asians who know Spanish. The video wasn't adapted to all ethnicities because it was made by Univision so they are just going to use the statistics in the Hispanic community.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Well, obviously this was produced by Univision ... so when I said "you" I meant the collective "you" - the Latino-American population. And obviously Univision didn't adapt it to all ethnicities - which is why I made the comment that I did.

I just don't see why Univision would have made it sound like this phenomenon is exclusively unique to Hispanics. In fact, since all ethnicities have experienced this it sort of makes it moot and un-unique and therefore not worthy of commercial spot.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:59 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Our plan is working...soon we will take over the world!!! Seriously though, it's a great marketing video. The Latino market is completely untapped by American business as a whole because they are so one sided in their marketing. They cannot simply dub an English commercial in Spanish and assume Latinos will come out in droves to consume their products. We are a very close knit people, all Latino cultures are. How many people do you know, or are in your family, that all drive the same type of car? In my family, we all use T-mobile. Why? Because someone we trust suggested it to us and we are a loyal consumer. As for the numbers, I'm not surprised. Not only do we multiply quickly, our families often take over small towns ;p
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:35 AM on May. 28, 2011