Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance question. dd was injured at friends house

my dd broke her arm on a friends trampoline. We used our health insurance at the hospital but i heard something about the home owners insurance being used. Just wondering how all that works since its not our home owners insurance. Will our health insurance just cover it or will they force us to go after their insurance?


Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:13 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (6,704 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (23)
  • We had a similar situation - we put it through to our insurance, but we had said, when we went in, that it had happened at someone else's house. A few weeks later we got a thing in the mail from our insurance saying they needed the other homeowner's insurance so they could collect what they needed to from that insurance, then ours would cover what remained. No suing involved, just filling out a paper with the other homeowner and mailing it to our insurance co.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • Personally I wouldn't go after another person's insurance unless the injury was a result of them being neglegent. Claims can make premiums go up. But then again if I had a trampoline I wouldn't let another child on it without their parents permission.

    Answer by kayslay at 12:47 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • My sis is an insurance agent, and trampolines are a big "no-no" as so many people can get hurt on them every year. So the friend's parents homeowners may not cover trampoline injuries. (they should check their policy on it).

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • The homeowners insurance is exactly who you want to pay. Contact your insurance company and have them go after the other homeowners. That's why we pay for it.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • If your insurance knows it happened somewhere else they will want the friends home owners insurance to pay.

    Answer by treynlisa at 12:16 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • Your health insurance will cover it. I think the their homeowners insurance would come into play if you actually tried to sue your friend for damages.

    Answer by momk23 at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • they asked my dd a tons of questions at the hospital. do you think it was noted on her file for the insurance to see? I really don't want to sue anyone. It was an accident, ya know?

    Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • You don't have to sue the friend's parents just have to file it. Better to be upfront about things than have the insurance find out and think they are being defrauded.

    Answer by treynlisa at 12:20 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • They will not force you, but they may go after the person responsible for your dd's accident since it will be on the hospital records and our if u tell them. Or nothung will happen. It really depends on the cirumstances of what happened and if your health insurance decides or u decide to to take action.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:21 AM on May. 28, 2011

  • As for the doctors asking your dd alot of questions on what happened they may be screening in case of any child abuse going on. But if they thought that, u would have seen the hospital social worker. They did the same thing to my SIL when her daughter fell while on a trampoline a few yrs back.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:24 AM on May. 28, 2011