Is it wrong for a breeder to breed her female Yorkie twice a yr?

How many litters can a Yorkie have before it has so many that it becomes unhealthy?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:35 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Pets

• They should only have one litter a year, or every other year, I think. That's the way most good breeders do it, at least the ones I've seen. Give the animal's body a chance to recoup from pregnancy and birth and nursing.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:20 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Absolutely wrong. Unhealthy and unethical. Only byb would do that.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:37 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I think it is Wrong to Breed them at all! Anyone that is trying to Breed their Dog  twice a year; could Care-Less about their Dog & are Not a Professional Breeder..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:43 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Sometimes reputable breeders will breed twice in a year however they don't necessarily breed the dog every year. If the dog is being bred every heat cycle that is a red flag for puppymills and back yard breeders
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• idk but I sure as hell wouldn't want to pop out a baby twice a year!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:37 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't know. I thought they were only fertile when in heat so I wouldnt think it was possible to breed them more than their bodies would allow.

I'd talk to a vet and depending on what they say call the authorities
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:38 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I agree with SalemWitchChild
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 12:39 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I was wondering because I know a family who has 2 Yorkies and they have 1 litter every 7 months and each litter is 4 to 5 pups
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:46 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I am not a breeder so I don't know for sure. How long is a dog pregnant for? I got one of my cats because the breeder was over breeding her. The lady that got her said that they need to be able to have the kittens, nurse them and then be able to rest and get back to normal before breeding and she was breeding her again the moment the kittens were weened. I am guessing it would be the same for dogs. I think that people should get their pets from shelters, they are better dogs and do not have as many health issues. Plus you would be saving a life. You could look it up on a website or ask a local shelter maybe to find out. They will take the dogs off of them if they are not taking care of them.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:52 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Dogs go into heat every 6 months, its not very good for their bodies to let them get pregnant that often, it doesn't give them time to completely heal!
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 8:05 AM on May. 28, 2011