Do you agree with this?

I don't believe in calling women or teenage girls sluts or whores. It not only damages them but is also degrading to myself. I believe the best thing I can do is be an example and role model. Dressing or acting like a "slut", IMO, is a confusion on what SEXY is. Sexy is about so much more than skin or looking and behaving in a sexual manner. Unfortunately no one teaches "sexy" in schools or at home. Hopefully as we become grown adults we learn true sex appeal has to do with intelligence, humor, kindness, is based on compatability and shared joys. Not what type of thong one wears or how much thigh is showing. But we never say these things or teach them. Media sends the message girls and women are objects, so why be surprised when our girls act like something to be objectified? Want change? Then be a role model.

The woman who wrote this...I just thought it was so well said...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i agree!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I totally agree!
    Anonymous

• I agree too...

I homeschool and this is definately something we cover. It's not about appearance at all!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes i do
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I worry for my daughters. I battled an eating disorder from age 11 to 21....well, to be honest, at 25 I'm still struggling with the thoughts and aftermath. I don't want my daughters going thru the same thing due to media and what is projected as "sexy" and thinking those extremes are what they must achieve to get male attention. Lets face it...even if they get that attention, it isn't going to be the right kind of attention. We need to teach our daughters to respect and value themselves. With the way the world is, we're going to have to work twice as hard. I hope my SO will understand and take it as seriously as I do. I know he is going to have heart failure over them growing up or having little boyfriends, but fathers are important in building their self esteem too!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• that is absolutely right, but there are still whores in the world. even where morality is high, there will be those who disgrace themselves knowingly, and without remorse. sorry, but you can't make excuses for everyone.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I hate both of those words. I hate hearing men or boys. I will just say what I said to my son. A girl does not set out to be a "whore" or a "slut". There's always an issue behind it... whether it's trying to look like what she sees on tv, wanting and needing attention, having been deeply wounded and this is her way of acting out.. etc. Some are looking for acceptance. It's sad but some of them feel acceptance or attention of anysort and from any one is better than none at all.
    Anonymous

• When I see someone who looks or is acting whorey or slutty, I will use those words. I call it like I see it. Sexy is for the bedroom alone. I am a role model for my child by dressing modestly.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree w/ Anon 1024....I was molested by family members (both boys and girls), raped when I was 11, and molested again when I was like 14....so for a while, I kept to myself....but when I got out of the house, I couldn't tell you all of the stuff I did....I didn't have threesomes or do drugs...but I did sleep around...nobody knows because I didn't tell them but I can't count on 2 hands how many people I slept with....and it's hard to break out of that mentality once you've had it because you'll always think, in the back of your mind, that the man that you're with and trying to be faithful to, is going to do something to hurt you.....
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 6:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• at least that's how I was...I still think like that to this day...which is why I'd rather go crazy sitting in my house all day than to let my kids go to daycare or and let someone watch them and I don't know what's happening to them or what somebody's doing to them...I don't even let certain people in my family watch them when I go home to visit...onlly my dad or my mom (without her husband there 'cause I don't trust him)...I can barely let DH watch 'em....not because I think that he'd do something to them...but because I don't trust people...I also think that it's VERY important that girls' fathers should be there to tell them that they're beautiful and to warn them about boys so they won't go looking for it....
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2008