Do you moms feed ur kids healthy?

Just wondering if moms are aware of the increasing risks for juvinile(sp) diabetes

Cherish050307

Asked by Cherish050307 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My husband had diabetes but not due to eating badly. He was very athletic, ate healthy, did everything right in terms of health - but his pancreas shut down when he was about nine and he has been on insulin ever since. Diabetes as far as weight and nutrition can be avoided. It is sad to see that so many are not doing more to protect their health.
    I know my child is not as healthy with food as he should and could be. He has an eating disorder that has been going on since he was nine months old. We work on it daily and have professionals helping us. It is hard to stick to what the nutritionist says when other kids and parents flaunt their cookies and chips. So we have to be very firm in our goal and commitment to a healthier family and ultimately a healthy child who eats well in an appropriate way.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yep, for many reasons. One, I don't think they need junk food all the time, moderation is important. There is already a family history of diabetes, obesity, heart problems, strokes, and on. My oldest has a weight problem despite eating healthy foods, so we're working on getting more active as a family. He's getting a Wii for Christmas, so hopefully that helps out. I sneaked a peak to make sure I could set it up right (it's our first game console) and wound up playing for about an hour. It can be a heck of a work out.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• try to most of the time. my kids prefer fresh fruit and veggies over junk food so i think im doing ok
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• haha my daughter ate a 3/4 can of green bean for snack tonight. i was just trying to see if any mom's wanted any ideas but i didn't think any one would say they feed their kids unhealthy. But a lot do and it is really just they don't know it is bad. I eat horribly and my daughter is a walking food pyramid, but she likes it and she get treats and thats just what they are treats not habits
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I definately try to. Every once in a while, they do get a treat here and there, especially with the holidays. But we only eat out maybe once a month, give or take. And most of the cooking I do from scratch, so I know what all is in it. We very rarely have any candy or anything in the house.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think I do. They eat 3 meals a day. I cook almost every night, but I like to use my deep fryer a couple times a week for wings, french fries, or whatever. Snacks are usually fruit or yogurt, but I am a chip lover, so I will get a bag of chips when I go grocery shopping. When they are gone, they're gone. And they eat a lot of cheese. Some people say its not healthy, but its better than cupcakes.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I'm aware and my kids eat very well! I let them choose what they want to eat and they make great choices so I know I'm doing something right. They LOVE fresh fruit and veggies. They cant get enough of them. They are 4 and 2 and I am very lucky (and proud to have raised them right so far) that they chose healthy. I hope it lasts! Yea, they still have ice cream, or cup cakes and brownies. They are kids! As long as they understand what is healthy and what isnt and continue to make good choices then I say lets have our cake and eat it too! :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:26 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My kids love fresh fruits and vegies...we love to garden too. I think if you establis healthy eating habits early they will carry them for a lifetime. But my kids do know what an Oreo and a Dorito is too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2008