How does speaking vulgar in a public forum reflect on the speaker?

Should women, especially mothers use filthy language in conversations? Should mothers talk about raunchy topics as if they were talking about what shoe size they wear? Do you feel that this type of speech is detrimental to children who are exposed to it?

mamateresa7

Asked by mamateresa7 at 3:45 AM on May. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• No offense, but it seems a bit white trashy to me. I always think that people who swear a lot sound a bit uneducated.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:59 AM on May. 29, 2011

• As long as there are no children around, why shouldn't a mom say what she wants? Whats so wrong about talking about "raunchy topics"? Sometimes its good to loosen up a little bit and get away from everday stress, its not like the adults who do talk like that are talking like that to their kids or around their kids..and if they are shame on them! There is a time and a place for everything.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 3:56 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Everything you write in a public forum can be the sole example another person has to form a picture of you in his or her mind. For example, you didn't use the adverbial form of "vulgar" when it was called for, so I, not knowing you from anywhere else, will assume you don't use the language properly.
    As for the rest of your question, I don't see why possessing both children and a vagina should limit which words I am permitted to choose when conversing with other adults.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I really appreciate it when women speak with Maturity and do not use filthy language even when childen are not around. They lose credibility when they use bad words and talk about things that are gross. My friends and family and I don't use any of the so-called "popular" filthy words.I don't think using the "F" word or any of that kind makes anyone sound good.I don't like to see them used here at CM either and I will just skip questions if I see one of the words or feel that the subject matter is unappealing and inappropriate.Kids learn to talk and behave with what they observe at home and I have a feeling many kids are learning bad words.....not good.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I swear alot like in public... sometimes unintentionally but I do it
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 4:03 AM on May. 28, 2011

• there is nothing wrong with it...people like to express themselves and you cant be the prim and proper person that you are aound your kids ALL the time.. if your kids arent around and there are no other children that can hear you then talk as bad as you like haha
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 10:24 AM on May. 29, 2011