On birth control and spotting--anyone have this?

I have been using the pill since the birth of my son 2 years ago. This morning I started spotting. I just finished the first week of pills for the month. I know the most common reason for spotting is not taking the pill at the same time everyday. I have not missed a pill and I have been taking it at the same time everyday. I did recently start eating healthier and have lost 10 pounds in two weeks. I have increased my water intake and decreased my soda intake. I am not taking any vitamin supplements. I have not had sex in a month and a half, so this is not a factor either. I do not know if any of this could cause spotting. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Also, I know my mother started with pre-menopause in her mid 30's--which is the age I am at now. Could this be a factor?
If you are going to say "Call your doctor" please keep your fingers off the keyboard. I am going to call Monday, but as this is not an emergency and it's Saturday I am not calling today. I just want some opinions until I can make that call.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 6:03 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Health

• I just started back on the pill in January after several years off of it. i do not recall ever spotting in the past , but not this time around. In fact one week before my period is due I have almost period like spotting for several days with cramps. I have no idea why this would be as I have not made any changes with anything else. It is very confusing and irritating as it's like getting your period twice in a month. I guess my suggestion would be to read the drug information insert included with the pack of pills. In fact I think I should take my own advice and do this as well. Please let me know if you learn anything about this issue. Good luck and sorry to hear you have the same issue.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 11:45 PM on May. 28, 2011