Had anyone experienced postpartum heart palpitations? I started getting them when I was 6 weeks pp? I'm worried. Will it go away?

I've seen several doctors and had EKGs done. They say my heart is fine. Even had thyroid checked and that TSH level is at 2.5 which docs say is in normal ranges. It's also accompanied with chest tightness and anxiety. Has anyone been through this?

love1491

Asked by love1491 at 7:11 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Health

• I had them during pregnancy, but was already aware of my propensity for having them when I was experiencing stress. I had an EKG too which was normal. You are having a physical manifestation of stress. You have to work on what is going on in your head. Meditate, write in a journal, find peaceful and relaxing things to do on a daily basis. Sleep deprivation is a trigger for me. Take your fish oil supplements because they help Regulate mood and help baby if you are breasfeeding. There is a product that I recommend to my student's called rescue remedy, it is a blend of flower essences that helps bring calm in times of panic or stress. I use it for my kids when they are having temper tantrums, too. It is wonderful. Obviously, check the ingredients to make sure you are not allergic to them. You could mention it to your doc that you are using it, the midwives here don't have any problem with it.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:25 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Mostly everyone has palpitations at one time or another. They are mostly harmless and can be a reaction to stress and anxiety. I have 3 leaky heart valves (the blood will back flow slightly when the valves close). Even with my known medical condition that can cause palpitations, i don't require treatment except antibiotics before dental appointments. My ekg's have always been normal also. So, even with clean ekgs you could still have mild heart condition, althought it's likely a harmless one. My advice would be to keep an eye on it, and if it continues or worsens make an appointment with a cardiologist and have an Echocardiogram done. That is the best test to get a good look at your valves and blood flow to pinpoint the issue, if there is one.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:57 PM on May. 28, 2011