Disposible diapers O/T

some one said yesterday that disposable diapers take two years to decompose.
check this out.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/120910/why_i_dont_feel_guilty

Any thoughts?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 7:33 AM on May. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• interesting. just have to toss those mushrooms out with the diapers. man mine is almost out of diapers but i i knew that when she was born i would of started it. lol i am dont feel guilty about using disposable diapers. i think its great that there is an option with cloth diapers and hats off to anyone that can continue to clean them day in and day out. its just not for me.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:55 AM on May. 28, 2011

• me neither.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 7:56 AM on May. 28, 2011

• For me, it's not the slow decomposing in a land fill, but the dangerous chemicals that are in disposable diapers that is my number one reason for using cloth. That- and they're so darn cute!

Also, I don't wash them day in and day out. I have enough to last three days and then do one load.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:15 AM on May. 28, 2011

• That is a great improvement, now can they make the production of disposables less straining on the environment?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:30 PM on May. 28, 2011

• Don't see how cloth is any less straining to make.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 5:40 PM on May. 28, 2011

• THe waste of water washing them and the detergents used are what make cloth and disposables a toss up where the environment is concerned. I like the backyard composting with mushrooms idea. Now to get my condo association to agree!
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:28 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I read a fantastic article years back when we lived in FL that broke it all down and in the end the envirmental damages were a toss up between cloth and disposable.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Interesting. I never considered using cloth but lately have been feeling a little guilty that I never did. I may try it with my next one because Lord knows I do enough laundry every day as it is! LOL. In the meantime, I'll just contribute to the oyster mushroom growth.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 9:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yeah, in the perfect lab setting mushrooms can help decompose all sorts of things, but how much oxygen for fungus is available in the landfill? Let's face it, the BULK of today's disposables will end up in a landfill. Especially when you add the plastic bagging that many parents put disposables into (diaper genie, etc). Don't kid yourself, unless you buying G diapers or similar (or using cloth), your kids' diapers will remain as you left them in your city's landfill for many, many decades to come (20-1000 years, depending on the reference).
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:59 AM on May. 31, 2011